Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Keel Bolts on Swan 44 1972
31 July 2012 - 04:51

Keel Bolts on Swan 44 1972
Hi,

I have a question for Professor. I have a water leak in the bilge - probably from the keel bolts - and there are a few cracks on the portside (outside) where the keel and the hull join. Would you suggest tightening the keel bolt nuts, or replace the sika completely on the joint? Are you able to provide any drawings illustrating how to attach the keel to the hull, and others showing the size of the keel bolts and nuts?

I really appreciate any help and advice. Thank you.

31 July 2012 - 20:33

Dear Odiss
If there is a leak from the keel bolts I would recommend a sealing procedure in addition to tightening of the bolts.
Afraid the instructions will be rather long and detailed, pls allow me some time to work this out. Will mail them directly to you.
Matteo may then decide to post them on the Maintenance Section.
Kind regards
Lars

01 August 2012 - 03:55

Dear Professor,

Thank you for your quick reply - it is much appreciated. I look forward to receiving your email with further information.

Thanks again,
Andrey

07 October 2012 - 23:40

Dear Professor,

I haven't heard back from you since our exchange of messages a few months ago. My boat is on St Kitts in the boatyard where there is hardly any infrastructure. I need to know which tools to take with me there to take the keel down. Also, do I need to remove the fuel tank to drop the keel down? You were going to send me some more info with regard to this but unfortunately I haven't heard back. Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you, Odiss

02 July 2016 - 08:37

Dear Professor

Please could you send me the same detailed info. I have a similar issue with Scaramouche 57/02 and am considering a keel drop.

Sue

31 May 2017 - 04:12

Hello to everyone 

i want to share my experience about the keel. 

I don't know what they use on other swans, but on KIPRIDA,  I  have led keel on the top of led keel GRP plate - I think they did this on the first models to get nice flat surface to bond to the hull, and hull. On my boat they had some issue when they poured led to the mold, the led was not hot enough, I have some cracks, on the back of the keel, or was wrong temperature of mold. When I got the boat the keel was glassed over with 3 layers glass with polyester, bottom with epoxi. GRP plate on the top of led was build on the top of led, it mean no bonding compound. When I remove all GRP glassing, on the front part of joint I had 3 mm gap, and "0" on the back. Inside the gap was a lot brown bonding compaung, I dig some, to try in the hand - really sticky. Brown compound remind me 3M5200 removable. I decided to don't drop the keel, just remove nuts put some anticiese grease and put nuts back with a right torc, all numbers get from Lars. Gap on the front compleatly disappear, after few days I start to see brown compaund what was start to slowly come out from joint. 

Thanks to Lars

Kind regards 

odiss (44/02 KIPRIDA)

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0