Classicswan.org
  S&S Swan Maintenance

1 . 
  Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Keel Bolts on Swan 44 1972

31 July 2012 - 04:51

odiss Join Date: 30 November 2011

Keel Bolts on Swan 44 1972  
  Hi,

I have a question for Professor. I have a water leak in the bilge - probably from the keel bolts - and there are a few cracks on the portside (outside) where the keel and the hull join. Would you suggest tightening the keel bolt nuts, or replace the sika completely on the joint? Are you able to provide any drawings illustrating how to attach the keel to the hull, and others showing the size of the keel bolts and nuts?

I really appreciate any help and advice. Thank you.

31 July 2012 - 20:33

the professor Join Date: 02 January 2008

Dear Odiss
If there is a leak from the keel bolts I would recommend a sealing procedure in addition to tightening of the bolts.
Afraid the instructions will be rather long and detailed, pls allow me some time to work this out. Will mail them directly to you.
Matteo may then decide to post them on the Maintenance Section.
Kind regards
Lars

01 August 2012 - 03:55

Dear Professor,

Thank you for your quick reply - it is much appreciated. I look forward to receiving your email with further information.

Thanks again,
Andrey

07 October 2012 - 23:40

Dear Professor,

I haven't heard back from you since our exchange of messages a few months ago. My boat is on St Kitts in the boatyard where there is hardly any infrastructure. I need to know which tools to take with me there to take the keel down. Also, do I need to remove the fuel tank to drop the keel down? You were going to send me some more info with regard to this but unfortunately I haven't heard back. Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you, Odiss

02 July 2016 - 08:37

sue turton Join Date: 26 May 2016

Dear Professor

Please could you send me the same detailed info. I have a similar issue with Scaramouche 57/02 and am considering a keel drop.

Sue

1 . 

Threads : 1257
Members: 653
Online Members: 1