Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Baby stay Swan 38
19 November 2013 - 18:58

Baby stay Swan 38
Hi,
can I use my spinnaker pole topping lift like spare baby stay in my swan 38?
Thanks
Fair wind.
Enzo

20 November 2013 - 15:24

Dear Enzo
It would be advisable to compare the strength of the topping lift and its mast sheave with the wire stay. If there are two lifts both could be used together for increased strength and reduced deflection under load.
Kind regards
Lars

22 November 2013 - 10:10

Hi Enzo ,

I am not familiar with the 38 but sometimes a baby stay can make a fairly acute angle with the mast, thus loads up a lot.  I don't know what your pole topping lift is made of but if it is polyester double braid it will not work satisfactorily.  If it is a top grade dyneema ( i.e.SK75 ) it will stretch approximately the same, diameter for diameter, as 1X19 wire, BUT since it is twice the length this will result in half the effectiveness. 

How will you tension this makeshift stay?  Will you take it off and put it on often (if not creep must be considered)? As Lars mentioned, is your hardware up to the loads generated?   I have heard that a synthetic stay will be slack in the mornings but tighten up during the day (aluminium and plastic behave differently in temperature changes.)

In my humble opinion, if you need a baby stay it should be wire (or the same material as the rest of your rigging)

Happy sailing.

David 43/12  

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0