Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Taking running rigging aft on a 411?
12 February 2014 - 21:06

Taking running rigging aft on a 411?
A second newbie question.

Have any 411 owners found satisfactory arrangements to lead running rigging (specifically, main halyards and reefing lines) aft, or further aft? This largely for safety sake (the boat will be sailed mostly short-handed) but struggling to see how to lead these without ruining the decklines, or getting tangled in the traveller / companionway.

I saw in the pictures of Baron's refit that jam cleats have been installed close to the mid-deck winches - would these be for this purpose?

If other 411 owners have confronted and adequately solved this problem, I'd be most grateful for photos or descriptions!

Thanks

12 February 2014 - 23:02

Tom.

We sail our 411 two up mostly. The main halyard is to a self tailer on the mast via a jammer at about head height.With this arrangement we can get the fully battened main to the top without using the winch. We have tried leading the halyard further aft but the extra friction makes raising the sail much slower and as we slab reef the main from the mast position, this seems to work best.

The genoa halyard is to a self tailing deck mounted winch aft of the mast, but as the headsails we mainly use are on the roller reefing, it is only used to alter the luff tension.

the spinnaker halyards also come to the self tailers aft of the mast.

My experience with other boats is that if they are not designed originally to have the halyards taken aft, it is difficult to arrange adequate leads without adding excessive friction to the system, also with this size of rig the cockpit soon fills up with rope!

If i can be of any further assistance let me know.

Regards

Paul  (Hierro. 411 042)

13 February 2014 - 11:56

I totally agree with Paul. I just like to add that in our boats leading the halyards aft means upsetting the Dorade boxes if not getting rid of them altogether.
For many reasons, I personally do not think that this is worth the return.
Daniel, 411/004

13 February 2014 - 11:59

Hi!

I was surprised to find how easily different mainsail oriented tasks are done at the mast of our 431. My previous boat was a more modern design in which those aft lead halyards and reefing lines were a must. She was a light displacement 34 footer which popped up and down nervously already in the medium-sized waves.

With these S&S designed (more proper?) Yachts things are different, they just behave more convincingly when the seas begin to show up their white crests. Lifting the main and reefing it are done securely at the mast even at the biggest of the seas. At first I had some plans to lead those ropes to the cockpit, but not anymore.

IHe 431-12 CAID

13 February 2014 - 12:45

Thanks for all the replies and assurances; convinced on all counts (and I certainly would not want to get rid of the Dorade boxes!).
Most grateful.

05 March 2014 - 19:45

Hello,
Perhaps you might like to consider this layout on Farouche as an example? I am not quite sure if it will fit with the configuration of the 411 considering the spot of the dorades. In my case, the halyard and so on could be run on the side. One thing though, the winches on the coaming on have been moved aft to the cockpi.

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/050)

Farouche 47/050

16 March 2014 - 23:38

Tom,

When I bought Wotan Swan 411-40 the previous owner had removed the dorade boxes at the main hatch. He was a keen racer and had a row of clutches and two winches placed beside the main hatch. I am away from home so I only have my existing photo library to show you what it looks like.

I have found the arrangement very effective, though not classic Swan. You can work the running rigging from the security of the companionway at a convenient height to winch. The disadvantage is of course that you loose the benefit of the ventilation from the two dorade vents. If you are thinking of sailing in the Med or the Caribbean I would probably advise against this arrangement.

Anthony

Rearranged clutches

General view, mid-Atlantic

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0