Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - G10 Mast Step ???
29 August 2014 - 23:39

G10 Mast Step ???

I will be replacing the Mast Step on my Swan 48/037 "So Far" this coming winter.   It has been suggested that I consider having the replacement built from G10.

Any comments on using G10 for a mast step?

And does anyone have ... or know where I can get ... a set of templates for the mast step?

Larry

01 September 2014 - 18:50

Dear Larry
G-plate composite can well be used for the mast step replacement. Before choosing this material there are a few points to consider:
- needs to be about 2.5 times thicker than the steel in order to achieve the same strength and stiffness
- although thicker the weight is about half compared to steel
- can not be welded together, instead it has to be glued or bolted, and the joints must not be laid out to take tension, but to be in shear.
- this means the construction needs to be different in places, and carefully thought out from this point of view.
- the material is corrosion free

Kind regards
Lars

03 September 2014 - 00:20

Good to know, Lars. Is there someone at Nautor or S&S I can contact to get a copy of the original mast step drawings? And can you suggest a firm (or type of firm) that I should contact to design and fabricate the replacement?

(I'm in the US near Newport, RI).

03 September 2014 - 08:46

Dear Larry
Suggest you check with spareparts@nautors-swan.com for drawings. Jamestown Boat Yard has worked with Swan 48 mast steps as far as I know.
Kind regards
Lars

10 September 2014 - 23:26

Thank You .. always ... Lars!

17 July 2019 - 22:23

I will be replacing the Mast Step on my Swan 48/037 "So Far" this coming winter.   It has been suggested that I consider having the replacement built from G10.

Any comments on using G10 for a mast step?

And does anyone have ... or know where I can get ... a set of templates for the mast step?

Larry

Hi,

Our mast support step needs replacing, did you ever get any fabrication drawings??

Be great if you pr anyone has these drawings, Lars very kindly suggested contacting Nautor but they are on holiday.

Email is : oaktree.layfield@gmail.com

Many thanks

Jonty

18 July 2019 - 15:47

Hi Jonty,

as Lars said before, Andy, at Jamestown BY, is always very helpful and knowledgable, I am sure he could help

Fair winds

matteo (47/049 Vanessa)

09 August 2019 - 09:56

Hi Jonty,

as Lars said before, Andy, at Jamestown BY, is always very helpful and knowledgable, I am sure he could help

Fair winds

matteo (47/049 Vanessa)

Dear Matteo,

We have recently been carrying out a refit on our Swan 48 Sleeper X, we had great issues with the mast support, we wanted to advise other members of the fantastic help and assistance from Andy Dickinson from Jamestown Boat Yard who kindly offered advice and also Lars who has been ever so helpful.

Also Swan / Nautor very kindly sent through original drawings and we have scaled these drawings and redrew the mast support fabricated section

We have passed on to Matteo these drawings for future Swan 48 owners.

Now we start to fabricate the s/s tanks!

Cheers

Jonty

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2