Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Tides Marine on Swan 44
23 March 2015 - 16:46

Tides Marine on Swan 44
Does anybody have any experience with using the Tides Marine ultra low friction sail track & fittings on a Swan 44? We have the original track on the mast & in spite of going up in a climbing harness & cleaning/lubricating the track periodically, it still has a great deal of friction. I am also considering the Harken system but it would increase stack height significantly.

24 March 2015 - 16:15

We're using STRONG track on our 411. I've used it before on another boat and really like it. Both our sailmaker and rigger prefer it to other systems. We end up with a 34" stack height.

Don 411/11

26 March 2015 - 18:23

Thanks for the feedback. Hearing a positive opinion from a user is great. As a rather short woman, I already use a couple of mast steps to attach the halyard so not increasing stack height much is very attractive.

26 March 2015 - 20:22

The system was recommended to me for my 37, I spoke to the rep in Florida and he sent me some pics of an install done in the late 90's.
Consider talking to them and requesting pics of older install.
As we know sun does a job on plastic, the pics made me look in investing in new ball bearing slides.

28 March 2015 - 20:37

Hi Candy

I removed the original bolt rope extrusion and installed the Tides track on Hatha and am very happy with it. I chose Tides because of its simplicity, low weight , and stack height. Mainsail goes up and down with no friction. As far as stack height goes, I am 6 feet tall and can just barely reach the top of the headboard. I have only had the track on for a year so it remains to be seen how the plastic will hold up to the sun light.

If you ask them they will send you a sample extrusion and you will be able to see that it makes a really unattractive fit to our oval mast sections. They had no problem moving the slot outward about 2 mm for my order which let me cove out the backside and get a really nice fit.

Good Luck

Tonyh 44 004 Hatha

Coved track section

29 March 2015 - 23:43

Have used the tides marine track on a swan 38 for over a year and very happy with it.
As mentioned above low stack height compared to 'cars'.
Comes rolled up so easy to fit.
Relatively inexpensive to buy a second set of lugs if you happen to be using two mains.
Sail slides up and down extremely easily, drops like a stone when wet!

11 April 2015 - 19:52

I agree about the possibility of sun damage to the plastic track. A couple of local riggers who are very familiar with Infidel are also suggesting we strongly consider a ball bearing system.

11 April 2015 - 21:53

Candy,
Last week I spoke again to Tides Marine asking again about the UV damage and they gave more detail than in our first conservation where he sent pics of an older install that I referenced to in my previous response.
The track material is not made by them and they have replaced some systems as new as 4 years old because of UV damage.
I'm running out of options for either track or trackless options for my new sail install.
My track is the original 7/8" inside width slot, Nautor aluminum track attached by rivets?
if anyone has had success with a particular track slide or trackless car please advise.
thanks, Steve

12 April 2015 - 09:38

Dear Steve
It is suggested you look at Rutgersson cars, appears that 1531-23 or 1536-23 would fit your track.
Kind regards
Lars

http://www.rutgerson.se/UserFiles/1/image/catalogues/Rutgerson%20SH_LOW.pdf

12 April 2015 - 19:23

Unfortunately I cannot find the model number on the sliders -- but one of the Rutgerson wheel sliders certainly fits great. We are very happy with that system.
Best, Martin

Stack with Rutgerson wheel sliders

14 April 2015 - 16:47

Lars, Martin,
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Rutgerson system, was not familiar with
them but have contacted their office here in New England.
Manufacturers of quality trackless cars are few.
We decided on Dimension-Polyant, Pro Radial sails, now in production and look forward to luff hardware that will ease hoisting and lowering.
Steve

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1