Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 37 sails
25 March 2015 - 14:16

Swan 37 sails
A year ago Regina made her cross country trip by truck from San Francisco to Jamestown then spent the summer being refitted.
Launched in September and sailed to Gloucester she was impressive with her balance and performance in conditions of 25 kts. Her rudder had been modified before and the rig is 1 meter taller than standard.
Her current sails are Kevlar BY Doyle and are a bit tired but still serviceable.
The plan is to do classic regatta racing and mostly day sail and looking to have new sails made.
Question: now in selecting sail material, options CXI laminate, tri radial cut or Dacron 344 pro series tri radial cut.
Any suggestions from experience? Please advise,Thanks Steve

09 August 2015 - 18:57

A year ago Regina made her cross country trip by truck from San Francisco to Jamestown then spent the summer being refitted. Launched in September and sailed to Gloucester she was impressive with her balance and performance in conditions of 25 kts. Her rudder had been modified before and the rig is 1 meter taller than standard. Her current sails are Kevlar BY Doyle and are a bit tired but still serviceable. The plan is to do classic regatta racing and mostly day sail and looking to have new sails made. Question: now in selecting sail material, options CXI laminate, tri radial cut or Dacron 344 pro series tri radial cut. Any suggestions from experience? Please advise,Thanks Steve

I have a square weave dacron 135 tri radial and like it alot!

Question for you, how has your rudder been modified? Same seg with balanced bottom?

If you have the architecture for it, I'd love to review it. I have a Swan 37 with original rudder.

10 August 2015 - 17:14

Hi Tleach,
Look at pic on Regina #15 the Swan 37's, it shows how the modified rudder designed by Olin looks. there has to be a drawing done by them as the 44's also had the downwind problem.
I settled on Dacron Polester tri radial cut built by Doyles' in Salem Ma.
Sounds like you're here in the State's, where are you located?

10 August 2015 - 17:51

Hi Tleach, Look at pic on Regina #15 the Swan 37's, it shows how the modified rudder designed by Olin looks. there has to be a drawing done by them as the 44's also had the downwind problem. I settled on Dacron Polester tri radial cut built by Doyles' in Salem Ma. Sounds like you're here in the State's, where are you located?

HI Tradewinds/Regina
Thanks for your reply.

We're located in Casco Bay Maine and members of Harraseeket Yacht Club, South Freeport Maine. We've had Petrel #53 for 21 years and love her.

10 August 2015 - 18:12

Am located here in Gloucester,
Your Club Commodore should have my contact info from the Sailing Director that I spoke to, Cheers, Steve

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0