Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Mast Maintenance
08 September 2015 - 17:38

Mast Maintenance
Dear All,
Was sure there were threads regarding this subject, but am at a loss to find them. If anyone can help would be grateful. Monday Sept 14th Aorangi's mast comes out, and would appreciate advise on the following known areas to address:
1) Spreader attachments are ovalized where they get bolted to the mast on the upper set, and need to be addressed. Is it possible to do a coupling, or what is suggested to fix them?
2) Gooseneck and Boom Vang plates need to be removed and repaired for corrosion. All advise welcome.
3) Mast and boom cleaning of aluminum. I know there is a thread regarding using steam at 150°C, but where does one locate a machine to do this? What sort of business uses this method?
4) Best advise in preparation of all other eventual surprises??? (I don't use tranquilizers;-)
Thanks in advance.
Jayne Aorangi 47/047

08 September 2015 - 17:47

Dear Jayne,

when Vanessa arrived first thing I did was to overhaul the mast; among the other things boom and vang plates have been removed and unfortunately there was a very bad corrosion underneath the vang plate.

If you look at this old post (http://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=1759) you will find some pics about what I did, if you want more and detailed info just let me know, I have tons of pics

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

11 September 2015 - 16:12

Thanks Matteo,
Printed and ready to review with boatyard on Monday. Will probably need to contact you, so just a heads up. And wishing for all good things,
Jayne (Aorangi 47/047)

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0