Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Renovation of sliding aft hatch of the 47
27 May 2016 - 09:31

Renovation of sliding aft hatch of the 47

I would like to substitute the worn acrylic panel of the aft hatch, but it looks quite impossible. I thought that simply unscrewing the side tufnol slides it was possible to lift slightly the acrylic panel and pull it out.

This has not been possible, the must be a stop somewhere under the fore cover under the mainsail track. I unscrewed this cover, lifted slightly, but could not see anything interesting.

So, shall I have to unscrew the mainsail track? Unscrewing this rail means destroying it because the stainless steel is welded to the aluminum.

All this confusion for a piece of acrylic?

Has someone faced the same problem, or does the professor have such a good memory to give me a suggestion?

Thanks a lot and fair winds everybody

Matteo 45 Grampus II 45/016

27 May 2016 - 18:27

Dear Matteo

Suggest that you check if there are nuts below deck for the bolts holding the teak spacers each end of the sheet track. If these nuts can be opened the sheet track including hatch cover comes off, leaving the track bolts in place.
Kind regards
Lars

29 May 2016 - 22:14

Dear Lars,

thank you for your suggestion, I was fearing this perspective because it will not be an easy job; after so many years the s.s. bolts are welded with the aluminum. We are already in the summer season, so I think that this work will be done later this year.

Again thank you very much for your patience,

Matteo 45

30 May 2016 - 08:54

Hi Matteo,

We did this on Sarabande when we replaced the track. For us, the most challenging part of the job was getting the head linings down in the cabin below. ( electric cables, light fittings etc ) But once they were clear and we had good access, the nuts could be removed easily allowing the whole assembly to lift off.

Rob

Sarabande 47/029

01 June 2016 - 15:31

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your indications.  It is good to know  that it is not a difficult job.

Yes indeed in my case also, the ceiling boards and their linings are somehow unstable for keeping them up, after so many years. I will try to make this job later this year.

Thank you and fair winds,

Matteo45

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0