Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Genoa track removed
07 October 2023 - 08:46

Dear Kaz,

we did the same -- no more teak, but adding two layers of glass/expoxy. In our case, we decided on bi-directional 600g/m² woven fibres. Basically, that was mainly to add to our feeling of being on the safe side and to gain a watertight layer; structurally, it was not necessary.
Now, bi-directionals come in either 0/90° or in 45/45°, and I discussed the advantages with Lars. Luckily, we did that by e-mail, so let me share his words:

"The fiber directions depend on what you want to achieve.
0/90 would stiffen the hull globally, i.e. less deflection when you tension the backstay, but also the deck panels become stiffer.
+45/-45 is rather ineffective globally, but reduces deck deflection more than 0/90 does when the panels are square. For rectangular panels 0/90 is again more effective.
Turning every second layer 45 degrees creates a laminate roughly equally strong in all directions - can be used when no particular load directions are considered.

If the +45/-45 is laid diagonally the fibres will run in 0/90.

The side decks consist of rectangular panels, but the coachroof may have some nearly square ones.
A panel is defined by its supporting edges, can be deck edge, coaming, bulkhead."

I hope that helps -- and I know Lars liked to be helpful.

Best regards,
Martin

13 October 2023 - 02:18

Dear Martin

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply. I have access to woven fiber. It says 24 oz and the pattern is woven perpendicular to each other. I was thinking of biaxial layer with the woven on top. Never done it before. Thanks.

Kaz 411/15

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2