Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Awkward opening of the helmsman seat on the 47' and other boats
07 February 2012 - 14:37

Awkward opening of the helmsman seat on the 47' and other boats
The shape of the lid covering the aft locker in the cockpit is an exceptionally comfortable seat for the helmsman.
Unfortunately the position astern of the two hinges yelds one of the most awkward openings that I have ever seen in a cockpit. It is really one of the very few blames I might have to Stephens or Nautor.

One solution would be to cut the lid into two halves with hinges in the center. This solution is often found on seats of other boats which have a broad seat.
The seat in my cockpit is relatively narrow and the hinges in the center would reduce the area of each single opening, therefore I would prefer not to choose this solution.

I would prefer a solution which does not cut the seat and allows full access to the locker, leaving the lid aside or abaft, maybe with gas or steel springs or with a curved brace with hinges.The lid would stay usually fixed down with clamps in the seat position.

Has anyone already found the solution to this puzzle? Your help is appreciated, thank you

07 February 2012 - 17:14

Hello Matteo45,
Alas, the issue that you mention is a real P in the A! I do agree that a viable solution to the awkward thing should be a priority for all 47 owners. It is a nightmare every time one needs to open this locker. Once opened, one cannot reach anything inside it unless one has 2 meters long arms. The "solution" is to climb around, to get in or try to get in it and...not funny.
I join you matteo45 in asking the clever people of this forum to com up with redesign suggestions with thanks and gratitude.
Cheers//Philippe
47/50 (Farouche)

07 February 2012 - 20:46

Dear Matteo45 and Philippe
It is suggested that you check if trunk hinges would solve your problem. The plate is attached to the hatch, and the bent arm goes below the aft coaming and attaches to its back side. The proper geometry can be found by trial and error, and should allow the hatch to open aft and high enough. These hinges probably need to be custom made, and occupy some space inside.
Kind regards
Lars

07 February 2012 - 21:41

Dear Lars,
thank you as usual for your quick reply! Does the model in the picture refer to the 47?. In this case I would certainly order one!
It would already be uncomfortable to fix these hinges inside the back rest, so I would like to be sure of the right dimension of these braces!
Alternatively I am seriously considering to get rid of the hinges, fix the lid with clamps in their place, and , when in need of opening, then flip the cover and leave it aside! I would of course prefer the first solution!
Thank you, Lars

08 February 2012 - 08:31

Dear Matteo45
The photo does not refer to the 47, it is just an example showing the principle. When the proper geometry has been determined it might be possible to find suitable hinges.
Your proposal to replace the hinges with latches is a feasible alternative, but be sure to attach the lid with a strop to the boat.
Kind regards
Lars

08 February 2012 - 11:53

One solution could be a couple of hinges like this.
Following this basic idea a skilled marine craftsman may be able to design and build a hinge that eventually mitigates the problem of the 47.

Daniel, 411-004

08 February 2012 - 22:22

Hello Lars and Daniel,

Thank you Lars for your excellent suggestion. I will certainly try it. it will necessitate some fiddling with the geometry, I am sure. My worry, is that the locker wouldn't open high enough. We'll see.
Daniel, your design looks elaborated but forgive me if I do not understand it. Perhaps you could elaborate. Thanks a lot.
Cheers//Philippe
47/050 (farouche)

09 February 2012 - 13:25

Hello all,

Thanks for bringing this up! On my boat the lid is cut in two halves. At this moment I'm changing it back to the orginal situation, because the lid is leaking in the middle along the cut. Also, when opening one side, it's pulling on the central hinge due to the curve in the seat, distorting the hinge and GRP along it. Furthermore, it's not a secure solution, because the lid is only attached at the front by two clamps.

The advantage of the original solution is that its secure and doesn't leak.

Your suggestions are just in time for me and I will discuss it with the yard who does the work. If we can figure out a solution which will work, I will certainly post it here. In the meantime, any other suggestions are welcome. I'm sure a lot of owners of a 47 and other types would appreciate it.

Gerrit, 47/001

09 February 2012 - 16:18

Dear All,
So happy to see this issue being addressed, and will be thrilled to see the final solutions. (will allow those better equipped the test drive;-)
But as long as we are on the "how things open" subject... if anyone has resolved the cockpit lockers opening out instead of up issue...would be happy to hear how that has been dealt with creatively.

Thanks in advance!

Jayne 47/047 Aorangi

16 February 2012 - 20:49

If this is what you mean with cockpit locker? This is what the previous owner of our Swan 38 has done.

Kind regards,

Paul Nagel

18 February 2012 - 10:21

Paulus, I think that you are referring to the left side seat of the cockpit, we are talking mainly about the aft helmsman seat.
I believe that the original opening for the left locker was thought to contain the liferaft, this might be the reason of the broad opening. In your case you can now open easier the lid when a table is installed between the bunks.
In my opinion the wooden handle in the picture is another unconvenient for a relatively narrow cockpit,
thank you.

24 February 2012 - 19:18

Thank you Paulus, this is the locker in the cockpit that I was referring to. unfortunately the handle would not work out in the narrow cockpit, but the idea of opening up is useful.
Cheers,

Jayne 47/047 Aorangi

29 February 2012 - 10:19

Dear all,

I've discussed the problem with the opening over the helmsman seat with the yard, but they don't see any solution for it for reasonable money. I also checked the dimensions of the lid and it seems like it's impossible to lift the lid the other way around, because the forward corners of the lid will touch the cockpit coaming.
So I will opt for the original solution. However, a small change could make this acceptable. I will look for special hinges, which will "open" when the lid will be opened against the steering wheel. So when completely opened, the lid can be lifted away for better access of the aft locker.

Kind regards,

Gerrit, 47/001

29 February 2012 - 20:33

I am sorry I could not enclose the image in the last post; I hope that you can now see something, pls excuse me for the design which is very poor:
looking at the picture at the left side there is a rod fixed on the wall of the locker, as low as possible.This rod contains the eyes of the two gas springs.The pins of the springs are connected underneath the lid at its center. When opening the springs expand and should allow the rotation of the cover. I am not sure this will work, anyway I hope so!!

03 March 2012 - 12:23

I am late to this post, however on my 41 I fitted some very substantial removable pin hinges to the helmsmans seat. I imported these from the US at considerable cost, however at least I can now easily remove the entire seat for access. No picture, boat is in Grenada and I am in UK

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2