Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Radar installation, displays
03 April 2012 - 22:10

Radar installation, displays

Here's wishing everyone a happy spring. 

I have bought a radar set for my 411 - a Furuno 1824 C/NT.  The main computer and display is pretty big - seems too big for the helm or even the nav station.  I wonder if anyone found a way to tuck a big unit like this in somewhere, or if maybe I could get a smaller unit for the main computer/screen from Furuno - I know I can buy a smaller display unit for the helm, I just don't know if I can downsize the main unit also.  I previously asked about helm displays and got a lot of nice ideas, thanks for those.  I guess this is more directed to the nav station below, and where to locate a big device like this one (see pics - I did show one of the big unit at the helm just to show how ginormous it is).

Fair winds,

Geoff

Corazon, 411 #41

04 April 2012 - 05:39

I called to see about switching out the display, which I couldn't do, but that led to switching out the whole unit from the 1824C/NT to the MFD8 with a 2.2 kW UHD radar. The MFD8 is much more manageable size wise and shouldn't present any problems for installation. I'm going to put it at the helm, and use a laptop below, rather than another fixed display. The new gear is a little more expensive than what I had but should be worth it in terms of performance, not to mention it solves my installation issues.

Thanks as always -

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

05 April 2012 - 11:13

Geoff,

you could have made a new instrument side panel and embed the radar display on it. There is a lot of space behind the panel. The other equipments (vhf, radi etc) are easier to arrange some other way on the new panel or find them some other place.

Fair winds,

Ilkka, 411/006

05 April 2012 - 14:49

Geoff, this is a very common problem. I don't like the look of high displays and on Tigris I am moving the display and smaller instruments to Scanstrut pods either side of the wheel with the top of the pod inline with the top of the compass. Not quite as easy to use, but good sitting down, they tilt/swivel and they don't look so big. As we often sail short handed I rely on being able to see the chart plotter when we are anchoring or in tight spaces. 

By the way, your boat looks like its in beautiful condition in the picture where the guy is holding the Furuno unit on deck.  Gavin

05 April 2012 - 17:41

Geoff, this is a very common problem. I don't like the look of high displays and on Tigris I am moving the display and smaller instruments to Scanstrut pods either side of the wheel with the top of the pod inline with the top of the compass. Not quite as easy to use, but good sitting down, they tilt/swivel and they don't look so big. As we often sail short handed I rely on being able to see the chart plotter when we are anchoring or in tight spaces. 

By the way, your boat looks like its in beautiful condition in the picture where the guy is holding the Furuno unit on deck.  Gavin

Gavin

Thanks for the advice, which I am going to follow (will look also at Navslides in addtion to the struts).  Also, thanks for the compliment on the boat.  Since all of us take pride in our boats, I wouldn't want to boast too much, but she is in absolutely pristine shape.  She needed a few things when I bought her (but not many, as her previous owner had gone through her pretty well) which I've gotten done, so from the bottom of the keel to the top of the mast, when I say she's in new condition or better than new, it's really true - but I only get a small piece of credit for that.

Fair winds -

Geoff

10 April 2012 - 13:36

Geoff,

We fitted a MFD8 at the helm last year.  It is fitted into a Navpod, and mounted onto a custome made S/S frame, bolted and fitted to the binnacle. ( The frame has three tubes, one fwd, and one each side.  These are through bolted.  There is then a horizontal bracing plated welded to the three tubes that fits over the upstand for the compass adjustment ring.  Compass still sits on top no problems!)  We have also mounted an autopilot controller of the same frame.

All works well; just allow time for activation codes from Furuno, and print a hard copy of the manual!

Cheers

Adrian

26 June 2012 - 22:04

So this is how I ended up - with an MFD8, smaller display, and installed on a Navslide at the helm. I made an aluminum bracket that screws on top of the circular steering wheel forward bearing cover. The bracket is .38 plate stock, and comes up to locate the top screws of the Navslide pattern at 6 inches from the center of the wheel bearing. That put the display about where it should be. With the Navslide, you can use the display at the helm, or you can move it to either port or starboard cockpit seat locations, if you were steering from there, or for the mate to use the radar. At the nav station, there's an ethernet connection where I can plug in a laptop to run as a secondary display. See photo attached - and fair winds.

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1