Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 411 winch question
22 April 2012 - 01:24

411 winch question
Hello yet again friends

My boat has had many of the original winches removed. I am considering putting one back on. One location would be just forward of the primaries, outboard of the bridge deck, about even with the galley exhaust fan fore and aft - there were two small winches on the boat there originally, they can be seen on the deck plan. What size were/are these winches? And for the starboard side (which has very little room in the overhead of the hanging locker behind the nav station, where the bottom of this winch would be I think, was the backing plate glassed in there already? I want to install an Andersen electric for a main halyard winch, which is a 40, but wonder if I have room or even a chance at this spot? My alternate would be to replace the 44 which is just aft of the mast, on the forward outboard part of the cabin top. As always, any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks,

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

08 May 2012 - 12:12

Geoff,

I have the four original primary and secondary winches from Wotan 411-40, which are for sale if you would like them.

Anthony

09 May 2012 - 11:40

Anthony:

Very kind offer, but I'm all set - I have all the primaries and secondaries intact. The winch I'm putting on is an Andersen electric self tailing 40, which I will use as a main halyard winch when I'm running my full batten Norlam main, which is one heavy beast. I am either going to put it starboard side where the boat originally carried a non-ST 40 for spinnaker downhaul, possibly(?). The location is as per the photo below (I'm showing the port side, but it's symmetrical). Or, I might take off the starboard 44ST up on the fiberglass, just aft and outboard a couple of feet from the mast and replace that one with the electric. Either way, I'm covered for hardware.

Are you in the water and sailing yet? I so very much enjoyed your book and have read some parts over again (for others on the list, Anthony took his 411 Wotan, one hull number previous to my boat, so they were likely in the shed together, around the Atlantic circuit, from UK south, then across, then north, then back over - essentially turning his electronic log into a very nicely arranged book. And without trying to create a bother for Anthony or otherwise, perhaps others on the list could benefit from those stories, especially regarding preparation, equipment management, logistics and coordination, foreign customs and dockage - there's a lot of great info there, plus it was fun to read.

Fair Winds,

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

• Threads : 1704
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0