Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Seller's Lament - Swan 41
14 May 2012 - 03:44

Seller's Lament - Swan 41

Have you had a similar experience? What's the story in Europe?

In my quest to find a new owner for my beautiful and fastidiously maintained 1974 S&S Swan 41, "Pleiades" (advertised on this website) I am dismayed to report an almost complete lack of interest and appreciation for these fine classic yachts on the west coast of North America.

Philistines! 

I attribute this lack of appreciation to brute ignorance on the part of the general sailing public. During the 7 years I have owned her, I spent more than her purchase price upgrades and restoration ...apparently to no avail in the current economy. It seems no one recognized what is on offer here.

Comments?

14 May 2012 - 04:04

John:

I have known about these boats and wanted one since I was maybe 15, and now that I have her I figure to maybe end up in the same spot as you, meaning spending a lot that it seems I might not get back, but I have to think there are still those like us out there who know and value these boats, you just have to get the right buyer's attention. I see several that are for sale for three years or longer but eventually your buyer will come.

Best of luck,

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

14 May 2012 - 14:05

Comment: it is not surprising that most humans do not appreciate the difference between a well designed sail-boat and a floating caravan with two sails.
Advice: have your advertisement made well visible also in Europe.

Daniel, 411/004

14 May 2012 - 21:45

I find it surprising that many (new ?) sailors don't even recognize the brand "Swan". Mayby that's because Nautor has moved out of the smaller cruising yacht region ? 

It happens quite a lot that people ask what sort of boat it is. And then after I proudly answer, they just smile without any recognition and walk away. That didn't happen 19 years ago ! Back then, everybody knew what a Swan is.

Anyway I just hope I never have to sell her (after 19 years of happy ownership) !

Jan Kooistra, YULUNGA, Swan38/110

15 May 2012 - 09:13

I agree with Daniel, try Europe maybe someone is planning a Pacific adventure. As a general comment, these are classics and not many have the time, money or ability to maintain them. I look at our lady as a part of the family. I am just the temporary keeper whose responsibility is to pass her on to her next caretaker in better shape than I got her, sort of like classic Ferraris and Jags. In Europe S&S Swans are recognized at least. I cannot recall a single harbor where we have not received a positive comment and many identify her as an S&S Swan.

Good Luck and sorry to hear you want to part with her!!

Mike and the crew from Stormsvale.

15 May 2012 - 11:50

Comment. I was recently berthed in my S&S Swan 411 at Foxs marina in the Uk which is the home of Oyster yachts. I was servicing my 11 winches. An Oyster 82 came in behind and was filling with 2500 litres of fuel. The skipper and I had a brief discussion. It went like this "is that a sailing boat or motor boat?" the skiper laughed. I said "why do I have more winches on my yacht than you on your £3.5 million 82 foot Oyster. " because you own a proper yacht"

I think that says it all about why we have these old yachts. A lot of experenced people do appreciate what we own and look after, and why.  So we need to spread the message to protect not only our investment but the S&S sailing  yacht heritage. 

John B Swan 411 010

09 August 2012 - 20:56

Last month an acquaintance sailed his boat, a 32 foot California built sloop, downwind in about 10 knots of wind when a part of the turnbuckle of the backstay broke. Corrosion. The mast was stepped on deck and came down. Fell on the bow pulpit, bent it and went partially into the water. It was in protected waters, a side arm of Puget Sound, Colvos Passage. With the help of some guys out fishing, they got the mast aboard. It was not damaged. The insurance company totaled the boat. He is looking for another boat now. A failure of my backstay would not have brought down the mast on my boat in such light conditions. Building good boats is very expensive, but you end up with a boat that will last many years and can take heavy weather,occasional failures and groundings. If the builder adopts a rule that he will produce boats only suitable for light service and stay mostly in the marina, then the costs are much less. Most people would not know the difference and do not care.

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1