Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 57/035
30 May 2012 - 16:12

Swan 57/035
Question for Lars,
Mo cher Lars,
I am doing some inquiries for the a friend of Mine Mr Wenertoft who owns the S&S Swan 57/35. The boat is a sloop. However, there is a sudden news that this yacht was initially built as a ketch!? Rumors has it that the former owner, Mr Alary, had her converted to a sloop by Nautor in Finland sometime in the late 80s. My questions:
1/ Can you confirm if this yacht 50/035 was actually built as a ketch in 1980?
1/ Is it at all possible to perform such conversion - from ketch to sloop - which must be extremely costly and complicated since the mast, I guess, must be mover aft?
2/ Do you have any record that this conversion actually took place and when?

many thanks in advance for your answers//

Philipppe
"Farouche" 47/50

30 May 2012 - 21:50

Mon cher Philippe
Merci de votre question.
You are right, this yacht was delivered as ketch. The main mast for a sloop is in the same position, so when the mizzen mast is lifted out she is a sloop - voilà.
The ketch main mast is 2 ft shorter, however, and also the boom. This yacht has later installed a furling mast with sloop length, and a longer boom, but I do not know when this was made.
Mes bien sincères salutations
Lars

31 May 2012 - 14:24

Mon Cher Lars,
Je vous remercie pour votre réponse nette et claire. En effet ce bateau est maintenant pourvu d'un mat à enrouleur, lequel est normalement plus long que le précédent, comme vous le dîtes. Je suis sur le point d'aller voir ce bateau qui en ce moment se trouve à Cagliari en Sardaigne. A mon retour, dans une dizaine de jours, je vous ferai savoir.

Bien cordialement//Philippe
Farouche 47/050

31 May 2012 - 14:59

Mon cher Philippe
Perhaps we better use english, Matteo may otherwise disapprove.
If the manufacturer for the furling mast is known this indicates who was involved with the replacement. Does the mast and boom carry manufacturer labels?
Meilleures salutations
Lars

31 May 2012 - 15:42

Mon Cher Lars,

Indeed. I am sorry and I should know better, that is that I should only use the English language in the forum. Alas, I got carried away. Let me then provide a faithful translation hereunder:

Thanks a lot Lars for your clear and accurate answer. Indeed the yacht is now sloop rigged and has the in furling mast which, as you say, is longer than the mast of the ketch version. As it where, I will be on my way to Cagliari, in few days, where the yacht is moored. I will then check the details and I will let you know.

Bien cordialement//Philippe Farouche 47/050

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1