Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 44 information request
01 June 2012 - 11:32

Swan 44 information request

Hello,

I see that there is a Swan 44 for sale in Medemblik, I do not know the hull number (or boat name), but the boat was apparently built in 1973.  It does have a modified rudder / stern / skeg (Kaufman) and was re-rigged in 2008, including a new mast.  The mast however is sngle spreader, whcih appears to be very unusual to me.  The boat does look 'tired' and would require a considerable amount of work.

Are there particular areas that a surveyor should examine closely, associated with Swan 44's?

Are there particular problems that I should be aware of?

Any comments or advice would be most welcome. 

Many thanks,

Trevor

03 June 2012 - 11:07

Dear Trevor
Suggest that you check the presentations of this yacht on a few more websites, you will find the hull number, the name, and that the mast is original.
For a yacht of this age the recommendation would be to look at everything
Kind regards
Lars

03 June 2012 - 22:34

Dear Trevor,

I've seen the boat in 2011, it's for sale for some time now. I'm not sure, but I believe it's imported from the USA. I can't give any comment on the condition of the boat, but I do know a very good surveyer in The Netherlands. So, if you are interested, sent me a message and I will give you the details of the surveyer.

Best regards,

Gerrit

10 June 2012 - 19:39

Hi, Trevor,

We have a 1973 Swan 44, hull #45 & she's a dream to sail. I agree that with the age of the vessel, EVERYTHING should be gone over thoroughly by a very picky surveyor. We also have the original Nautor mast, very substantial with single spreaders. Although the Nautor plate on the mast was missing, we did discover the 44/45 stamp on top of the mast we we pulled it for maintenance a few years ago. You might want to check the butt of the mast for corrosion during the survey if possible. We found that the last owner had pulled/painted the mast but neglected to provide for dielectric isolation between the steel mast step & the aluminum mast. We had to remove about an inch & have a G10 plug fabricated to keep the mast the same height.

Candy

12 June 2012 - 12:54

Trevor,

Suggest you contract a surveyor in your own country if different from where the yacht is. I have a long sorry tale related to this.  Drop me an email if you want details.

Hope it all goes well and you become the proud owner soon.

Cheers

Adrian

03 August 2012 - 20:24

I own a Swan 44 ( currently in the Med): the original mast is single spreader. I don't know the boat to which you refer, but I would be interested in speaking with you if you are still looking for a Swan  44. Provide an email address and we can discuss.

Thanks.

Bill

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1