Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 38 deck mould
24 July 2012 - 20:46

Swan 38 deck mould
There are Swan 38 with teak deck or fiberglass deck.
Is it possible to simply add the teak on the deck in fiberglass or both types of deck are too different and from different casts?
thank you

25 July 2012 - 03:09

There are Swan 38 with teak deck or fiberglass deck. Is it possible to simply add the teak on the deck in fiberglass or both types of deck are too different and from different casts? thank you

If you are looking at a 38 with a fiberglass deck and want to know if you can put a teak deck on her, generally the answer should be yes. She may have been made with a teak deck, the Professor may know, but as long as the deck is sound, and you're dealing with a deck maker who knows their business, the issues relate mostly to fit up at the toe rails (you want a thinner deck there, so as not to create a deep gulley), your hatches and other thru fittings, skylights and prisms, etc., and all sailing hardware (shroud fittings, mast base pulleys, genoa tracks, other anchor points, etc. must all be reset and rebedded on the new deck. I have seen these boats getting decks made board by board from teak, or, like mine, made from CNC cut sections by a big deck maker (Teak Decking Systems www.teakdecking.com). Figure on spending some serious money either way.

Best of Luck, and Fair Winds,

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

25 July 2012 - 03:40

Also, go to the 'documents' page from within the model page for the 38, on classicswan.org, and read the article that is there - it talks about the teak decks and some of the issues involved.

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

26 July 2012 - 13:15

Thank you for all these explanations.
Excuse me but I am French and I'm having trouble formulate my question correctly.
I want to know if the mould in which originally served for the manufacture of ship's deck is the same in teak deck version or plastic deck version.
If the mould is the same, just paste the teak on top and with some planning, you can get something decent.
However, if moulds are differents, you can try the transformation but it is more difficult.

27 July 2012 - 10:09

Dear Cocatrix
The plastic decks are made in the same mould, and therefore identical.
Kind regards
Lars

27 July 2012 - 18:04

Dear Cocatrix
The plastic decks are made in the same mould, and therefore identical.
Kind regards
Lars

thank you professor
I am reassured
I am considering buying a Swan 38 with a fiberglass deck.
I think it is unfortunate that a boat of this class do not have a teak deck and I want to restore it by offering this new deck.
My fear was denatured the boat by adding on a teak deck that was not planned for that.

• Threads : 1705
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1