Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Converting V-berth to a Comfortable Cabin
15 August 2012 - 20:46

Converting V-berth to a Comfortable Cabin

I am new to this site, and have enjoying reading the many threads regarding cruising on a Swan.  My husband and I enjoy coastal cruising on our Swan 38, as well, and plan to do long-distance cruising in the future.  (We do not want to stop racing, but that’s another story.)  We want to sleep together, but as we have gotten older, find that we are not as flexible as we once were ... which means the aft cabin is not an option long-term.  We inserted a board between the sail lockers in the v-berth to make a large berth, which has worked for years.  However, getting into it takes a gymnast with considerable upper-body strength, and does not leave much room between us and the headliner.   My question is this:  Has anyone modified the forward cabin of their boat, making an easily-accessible double berth and/or enlarging the head to add a separate shower?  I would love suggestions … photos or drawings would be awesome.   Thanks so much!

Sherri    s/v "Spirit"

16 August 2012 - 18:53

Hi Sherri,

I cannot help right now but plan to make many modifications to my 43 over the next several years.  If you're not in a rush, I plan to post pictures.

If you are in a rush, I would suggest the woodenboatforum.  There are tons of pictures there and, although we have "classic plastic" you are talking about wood and the members there really know their wood.

Gald you're here.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

• Threads : 1704
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0