Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Surface of the deck of the 47
28 August 2012 - 13:31

Surface of the deck of the 47
Good morning Lars,
Do you happen to have the exact measurement of the teak area of the 47?
If not, any hint on how to calculate quite accurately the surface of the deck, the roof and that of the cockpit?

Thanks a lot //Philippe
Swan 47/50 (Farouche)

29 August 2012 - 09:20

Dear Philippe
I do not have the areas, but I have a planimeter enabling the areas to be measured from a drawing. The definition of the side decks is clear, assume the cockpit includes the bridge deck, but pls specify whether the roof includes also cockpit coamings.
Best regards
Lars

29 August 2012 - 17:23

I hope that I remember correctly. The area should be 25 sqm.
This was reckoned considering as covered with teak the fore porthole, the dorades, the mast hole or other holes on the deck. The cockpit sole and seats were not calculated.

I do not think that it takes more than ten minutes to measure with sufficient accuracy the area.
First you trace with a pencil the axis of the deck, so that you reckon half measures. Then you trace with sufficient accuracy cross sections every 100 cm or other distance that you prefer.It is not difficult to draw parallel lines because the boat is symmetrical. You calculate the areas of these trapezes as the sum of the two parallel sides by the distance (in this case 100cm) and divide into two. You can consider the curved lines of the toerail and the coachroof as parallel. At the end you double the result.

When making the order for the wood, you should reckon the length of the toothed splines ( 15cm broad) around the coachroof, outside cockpit and central spline). This extra surface compensates the loss you will face when laying the listels

30 August 2012 - 07:44

Dear Lars and dear Matteo
Thank you sincerely for your advises and learned methods:

Lars- if I understand your question right: the coaming of the cockpit is not covered by teak. Please let me know of you method.

Matteo: I will of course try your method and will let you know.

Million thanks//Philippe
(47/50 Farouche)

30 August 2012 - 11:09

Dear Philippe
Suggest you measure on the deck, and I on a drawing, then we compare results
Best regards
Lars

30 August 2012 - 12:17

I hope that I remember correctly. The area should be 25 sqm. This was reckoned considering as covered with teak the fore porthole, the dorades, the mast hole or other holes on the deck. The cockpit sole and seats were not calculated. I do not think that it takes more than ten minutes to measure with sufficient accuracy the area. First you trace with a pencil the axis of the deck, so that you reckon half measures. Then you trace with sufficient accuracy cross sections every 100 cm or other distance that you prefer.It is not difficult to draw parallel lines because the boat is symmetrical. You calculate the areas of these trapezes as the sum of the two parallel sides by the distance (in this case 100cm) and divide into two. You can consider the curved lines of the toerail and the coachroof as parallel. At the end you double the result. When making the order for the wood, you should reckon the length of the toothed splines ( 15cm broad) around the coachroof, outside cockpit and central spline). This extra surface compensates the loss you will face when laying the listels

Oops, the curved lines of the toe rail and coachroof at the deck level sre not parallel, but you can consider them as straight sides, being one convex and the other concave, so that the area of the trapeze should fit with accuracy.
sorry, and make a good job!

01 September 2012 - 13:23

Dear Philippe
I get a total of 37.2 sq.m
How does it compare with your result?
Best regards
Lars

02 September 2012 - 08:49

Dear Lars and dear Matteo
Following the methodology advocated by Matteo and taking into account the curved lines as well as all the srfaces without teack - such hatches and similar areas - my measurement shows 35,8 sqm! The small difference of about 2 sqm between my measurement and that of Lars might be attributed to exagerated substractions from my part. Also, crowling all over the deck and aiming at a high accuracy, I might have been over optimistic in avoiding overlaping.

The result is most certainly somewhere between 36 and 38 sqm. So, now I know!
Million thanks to both of you for your well informed and percious help.

Cheers/Philippe
47/050 farouche

11 September 2012 - 17:14

Dear Philippe
I get a total of 37.2 sq.m
How does it compare with your result?
Best regards
Lars

Dear Lars and dear all,
I checked and rechecked the mesurement of the surface of the deck including the cockpi for the 47: the resultv is a maximum of 28sm including the cockpit and the floor of the latter. I believe that this measurement is quite correct.

Thank you all for your kind help.
Cheers//Philippe
(47/050 Farouche)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 3