Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Balsa or Divinicell
08 September 2012 - 15:48

Balsa or Divinicell
Dear Lars,

I have two more questions for you:
1/ In the inner skin of the deck, is there BALSA or DIVINICELL
2/ With which type glue was the teak laid with on the deck? Some URETHANE, a simple SILICON or something else?

I am talking about S&S built in 1980.

Many thanks in advance for your answer and anyone else who might know.

Cheers//Philippe
(47/050 Farouche)

08 September 2012 - 18:29

Dear Philippe
The deck core is Divinycell, and the teak may either be attached with screws or glued. The number of screws indicates which alternative was used.
If screwed the mastic under the teak is the same as in the seams between the battens, and a polysulfide was used.
If glued there is epoxy under the battens.
It is assumed that you refer to the original deck. If it has been replaced at some time later there might be other mastics/glues used.
Best regards
Lars

09 September 2012 - 10:50

Dear Philippe
The deck core is Divinycell, and the teak may either be attached with screws or glued. The number of screws indicates which alternative was used.
If screwed the mastic under the teak is the same as in the seams between the battens, and a polysulfide was used.
If glued there is epoxy under the battens.
It is assumed that you refer to the original deck. If it has been replaced at some time later there might be other mastics/glues used.
Best regards
Lars

God morning Lars and all,

Thanks a lot for your answer. May I be more precise:

1- I am of course talking about the year of build, that is 1980. I am happy to hear that Divinycell was used in the core of the deck and not the Balsa.

2/ I am talking about an original teak from 1980. It has been refurbished but not replaced.

3/ The teak was originally (1980) screwed down of course, and my question is: even when screwed, there must be some sort of glue under the teak? I think there is some. Is that right? If so, Which kind of glue?

4/ You mention epoxy under the teak! I am surprised that the yard used epoxy to glue the teak on the deck back in 1980? Kan it really be so? Or are you referring to a possible replacement? Well, no replacement was made. We are talking about the original teak deck.

5/ Summarizing: original teak deck from May 1980. The teak is screwed all right. However, my investigation shows that there must be also some sort of glue under the teak together with the screws. WHICH GLUE WAS USED BACK IN 1980?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.//Philippe
47/050 (Farouche)

09 September 2012 - 13:01

Dear Philippe
You mention that the deck is screwed down.
Then there is no glue but a mastic under the teak, actually the same mastic as in the seams between the battens, and a polysulfide was used here.
Best regards
Lars

09 September 2012 - 13:45

Many Thanks Dear Lars . Now, I know.

Cheers//Philippe
(47/050 Farouche)

11 September 2012 - 17:16

Original message:
Dear Philippe
I get a total of 37.2 sq.m
How does it compare with your result?
Best regards
Lars

Dear Lars and dear all, I checked and rechecked the mesurement of the surface of the deck including the cockpi for the 47: the resultv is a maximum of 28sm including the cockpit and the floor of the latter. I believe that this measurement is quite correct. Thank you all for your kind help. Cheers//Philippe (47/050 Farouche)

11 September 2012 - 17:28

Dear Philippe
Pls note that the area I gave included the coachroof, and is therefore bigger.
Best regards
Lars

12 September 2012 - 19:31

Dear Lars,

I am very sorry if I am mistaking, but I did include the coach roof in my measurement since it already has teak now. There should not be such a big difference between your and my measurement. I will have to return to the boat and re- measure once more. I'll let you know.

Cheers//Philippe
(47/050 Farouche)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1