Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Searching for a Swan-advice please!
07 October 2012 - 19:35

Searching for a Swan-advice please!
Hi, I am searching for a Swan. I recently had a survey on a 38 but the very high moisture levels in the hull concerned me. Another 38 I viewed had a very badly corroded mast step, otherwise the boats were generally in good condition. Are either of these problems hugely worrying and expensive, I need to have a reasonable idea of costs to make certain my project works.
Mark

08 October 2012 - 14:45

Mark -

I think you should view it as getting the most bang for the buck. The real question is - can you find a boat that is fundamentally sound that you can sail for a few years while you upgrade here here and there, compared to just finding one that's perfect and buying her - in the former case, you get to know the boat better, and maybe save some money too. You can spend a lot and get a boat that needs almost no work, or you can spend incrementally less and then have to do some work. There's no way around it. These are great boats, so the chances of you stealing one are pretty slim. There's nothing that can't be made right with good work by an experienced yard and/or owner. Of the two issues you raised, all other things being equal, the step is easier and less costly to deal with than a 'wet' fiberglass structure, but you must examine the boats very carefully to uncover all the areas that may require attention, then make that final evaluation. Good luck in your search...

Fair Winds,

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

11 October 2012 - 21:23

Mark, be sure you understand that it is not what you pay for one of these yachts but what you need to spend on her over the years to bring them back to new or better than new condition.

The cost of a full restoration will make your eyes water, so look for a structurally sound yacht and get estimates for the priorites that need doing over the first few years. Hit the big jobs first, leave the cosmetics untill later. Plenty of advice on the forum on this matter.

For a lot of owners the restoration is part of the fun (sometimes) of ownership. Decide if you want to get everthing done in one or two years or spread it out over a longer period. It is also about what your budget can stand overtime.   

John B

411. 010   

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1