Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Goiot or Lewmar
15 October 2012 - 07:36

Goiot or Lewmar
Hello,

I am about to change three hatches: (1) the fore pick hatch; (2) the saloon hatch and (3) the head hatch. I am looking at the Goiot Traditional Hatches ( the original I suppose). The sizes do not fit precisely but will necessitate quite few adjustments of the existing frame and/or building new ones. Lewmar Ocean seem to fit better.
Knowing that the the Goiot are more likely to represent the original hatches of our boats, I wonder if Lewmar hatches would be a profanation!

Thank you for any point of view and suggestions.

Philippe (47/050)

16 October 2012 - 07:55

Phillipe:

The previous owner of my boat put in Mainship hatches, on custom wood frames (he also put in Mainship opening ports in the aft cabin). All these were stainless steel. The glass on the hatches is smoked, just enough. They let in plenty of light, but tone it down just a little. I personally think they look very nice. They seem in keeping with her original looks, and I would add they work very nicely too, latching, holding open at various positions, etc. They never leak, either. Just a thought as you look around.

Fair winds,

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

16 October 2012 - 09:05

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your point of view. I looked at the website of Man Ship Deck Hardware and the look very fine. Alas, they would seem to be custom made, which, I guess must involve very accurate measurements, trial and error. Furthermore, they seem to be present only n the US.

I am continuing looking and most thankful for any suggestion.

Cheers//Philippe
(47/050)

17 November 2012 - 17:42

Dear Philippe,

I, too, had planned to replace my hatches.  Although the hatches on my boat are not the ones typically found on the 43, I think thye are original.  I have two bomar, cast aluminum hatches.  In my research for new hatches, it became apparent to me that new hatches of the same quality are VERY expensive.  To replace my forward deck hatch, I estimate a replacement cost over $1600 and possibly $2000.

So, after doing a little more reseach, it seems likely that I can completely restore both hatches to "as new" condidtion, which includes professional powder coating, for around $300.  That may be a possibility for you.

Alternatively, I would look at Atkins and Hoyle; they are a small, family-owned company that makes high-quality hatches.

Fair winds,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete

• Threads : 1703
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2