Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Re wiring Mast
01 November 2012 - 19:17

Re wiring Mast

I currently have my mast out and am looking to replace some if not all of the wiring. The old rule used to be keep power and transmision cables seperate.

The mast looks to have three conduits, but only two on my yacht are used, which makes me think previous owners / electricans have just fed cable into the easiest conduit to hand.

Can anybody confirm that two conduitis go to the top of the mast and a third stops somewhere? Would a radar scanner be a transmitter or power? An eletric horn is definately power. What would a SEE ME radar target enhancer be?  VHF cable and airel is obviously a transmitter.   

JB Swan 411 010  

05 November 2012 - 12:32

Dear John
Maybe the items halfway up the mast use one conduit, and the cables to the masthead another? Does the cable grouping at the lower end give some hints?
Suggest you check through the spinnaker halyard exits or the cable exit near the masthead whether there are two conduits. Alternatively through the mast lower end, this requires a strong light inside the mast.
Antennas generally use coaxial cable for protection, but it is recommended that an electronics guy takes a look at the whole package.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1