Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Asbestos in 43's galley
27 November 2012 - 07:01

Asbestos in 43's galley
my 43 has a steel heat deflection plate over the stove on the underside of the deck - My concern is with the material that is sandwiched between the plate and deck . I believe its asbestos. Should I be concerned? Only the edge(1/16th) is exposed. What sheet material is used nowadays as a substitute? Thoughts?

28 November 2012 - 10:12

Dear John
The insulation could well be asbestos, at the time of build this material was commonly used for insulation purposes. You could either seal the edges with fire resistant paint to prevent dust, or replace the material with rockwool.
Kind regards
Lars

04 December 2012 - 00:21

Dear John
The insulation could well be asbestos, at the time of build this material was commonly used for insulation purposes. You could either seal the edges with fire resistant paint to prevent dust, or replace the material with rockwool.
Kind regards
Lars

Lars - Thank you.
I think i've located Rockwool. It is a fiber sold in loose form . It's used in fireplaces.
Is that the material you were suggesting? Am thinking you spread the fibers over the entire steel plate (as uniformly as possible) then screw the plate in place. Make sense?
john

• Threads : 1703
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2