Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 38 Engine Replacement
07 July 2007 - 22:54

Swan 38 Engine Replacement

Sad to say today is the day I've decided to replace my engine, a Volvo Penta 2003T.  If any 38 owners have any info to share I'd appreciate it-specifically concerning make, model, matching existing engine mounts, ease of install, etc.

09 July 2007 - 19:32

Hello, Jim,

we replaced the original BUKH engine with a new BUKH model (24 hp, with turbo 32 hp). In general the BUKH engine is a little bit heavier than Volvo, Yanmar etc. but it fitted into the original engine berth without any alterations . This was the main reason for us to do it like this. It works very well and together with a three blade max prop we feel that it is a good unit to keep the boat going.

Fair winds,

Toni (toge/113)

09 July 2007 - 20:06

We replaced the existing Bukh engine with a newer Bukh engine as well. This engine has a great safety feature: it can be started manually using a hand crank in the event that you lose all electricity on the boat. This is the same engine that is inside of many lifeboats on big tanker ships. We have been very happy with the replacement.

http://www.bukh.co.uk/dv24me.htm#

Note: I believe that most Swan 38's in Europe came with a Bukh engine, but I've heard that boats for sale in the US came with a Volvo engine. Can anyone confirm this?

-Nathan

10 July 2007 - 23:30

In 2003 I changed the old Bukh 24  with a modern ...Bukh (but fresh water cooled)!

I am very happy about the decision, it's a very simple and reliable engine, I can get minor repairs by miself, spare parts (at least in Italy) are easy to find, you can, as already told, start it by handle, and the change has been done in one day without getting the boat out of water, of course. Some pics at http://www.only-you.it

Would do it again!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You) 

23 November 2007 - 02:04

Hello again,

Thanks for the input.

I did replace my engine with a Volvo Penta DY40.  The local dealer said it would drop right in without having to change the pads for the engine mounts.  But the main reason was the price $8800 US which included shipping to Alaska.

• Threads : 1710
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 1