Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - New Composting head
11 March 2013 - 21:30

New Composting head

Dear Members,

I just received my new "Nature's head" head and have a copuple of pictures to show you.  Some have asked about this type of head and i will happily report back after installation and use.

Head Top view

Head Inside View with parts

13 March 2013 - 07:47

Thankyou for uploading this most interesting thread.
I will be very appreciative if you can post pictures and your ideas of installing your new composting toilet.
Will you have to modify the existing head?..if so ...how?
Is it possible to use the existing wooden seat on these composting toilets?

I am wonder if you can connect these toilets to a thruhull outlet ,so you have the option of easily dumping the compost when offshore.?

Also how does the flushing/cleaning of the bowl work ?
I am assuming this composting toilet uses no water ,so how does the bowl stay clean?....do you have to hand clean the bowl.
Also how does toilet paper work in this composting toilet?...do you have to put the used toilet paper in a separate container , to be deposed of sometime later?

I have wondered if a bidet flush could be set up in a regular marine toilet such as the Royal Flush ,which can put under a normal home toilet seat...thus eliminating toilet paper on board.
http://www.bidetinternational.com/shop/royal-fresh-bidet-kit/?gclid=CLvj-YKL-bUCFYpDMgod82UAlQ

Does anyone have ideas or products that could be used to set up a bidet flush in a marine toilet?......I assume that the existing thru hull could somehow be incorporated in this type of set up?

Thanks
Florence

13 March 2013 - 18:15

Hi Florence,

I think the best way to get information is to do a google search for "Nature's Head." Many sailors have been using these toilets for many years; the search I did was very informative and provided me with answers to most of my questions.

Cleaning the solids box: not recommended since cleaners can destroy the bacteria necessary to compost. Suggested that a plastic garbage bag is placed over the top and the solids, by now dessicated, be tipped into the bag.

A 12-volt fan is attached to the side of the solids container which, in theory, helps removed the liquids. A hose is attached and run through the deck to a mushroom vent.

As you can see from the pics, the liquids and solids are separated; the liquids are directed to the bottle which holds 2.2 gallons. I have an extra. These can be taken ashore and dumped into a conventional toilet.

No through-hull necessary. This type of head is ideal for weekenders and those who take 1-2 week trips. The longer the waste remains in the bin, the more dessicated it becomes. However, I have read about many live-aboards who have had success.

I hope this helps. I plan to visit the boat next weekend and will measure then to see how much modification is necessary.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

23 March 2013 - 21:56

Hi Chris:

You should try contacting Charlie Hancock about his Nature;s Head performance. I seem to recall he had one on his Swan 43 Freya.

You can find his email under "Member List"

Regards,

Hiro

25 March 2013 - 14:01

Hi Hiro,

Thank you. I will contact him when I get ready to install - right now we have snow! You probably do too. I am ready for the summer.

Hope all is well.

Chris

28 March 2013 - 21:17

The Nature's Head fits in the location of the original toilet.

Head Fitted but not Mounted

07 April 2013 - 16:54

Chris:

It fits well into the head compartment.

Regards,

Hiro

08 April 2013 - 13:57

Dear Hiro,

Thank you. Yes, a good fit for the time being, however, since there has been so much water damage and because I no long have typical head plumbing, I will likely make modifications to the head compartment - but that's another job for another time!

Chris

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0