Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Rudder bearings on 38
19 March 2013 - 11:01

Rudder bearings on 38
Dear all,

I got some good advice on when to replace the steering cables from this forum, and now that's done. The steering feels even and gives just enough resistance for feel, but still I am uncertain about the rudder bearings. Does anyone know the indications for when they are ripe to be replaced? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Terje.

20 March 2013 - 21:09

Dear Terje
If the bearings are worn they start to make noises - particuarly if the yacht is rolling downwind you can hear the stock hitting alternate sides of the bearing.
When the yacht is ashore you should pull firmly sideways on the lower end of the rudder, if you can feel a play this is in the lower bearing inside the gudgeon (hinge).
There is also a bearing where the rudder stock enters the hull, the same test suggested, although it is more difficult to do it there.
Kind regards
Lars

23 March 2013 - 21:16

On our swan 38 there is no problem steering but when my engine is running low rev's you can hear the rudder stock vibrating. I do not know if this is the bearing and which bearing i should replace and if this can be fixed without removing the rudder stock.

Anyone with the same problem?

24 March 2013 - 21:26

Paulus
Check if it is the top rudder bearing under the cockpit floor cover which allows movement and vibration.
If not I would suggest you check the propeller shaft installation and alignment
Kind regards
Lars

30 March 2013 - 12:50

Dear Lars,

Thank you for that. I am planning to have the boat on the hard in end April, and will test bearings as you explain. On my passage to Gran Canaria, sailing downwind in fairly heavy seas (25 to 35 knots of wind), the steering gave a kind of squicking sound - like a door in dire need of lubrication. Do you have any idea what this might be? Turning the wheel whilst in the berth, there is a low, klicking sound. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Terje.

30 March 2013 - 18:33

Dear Terje
The squeaking could be the steering sheaves in need of lubrication, and the clicking the chain touching somewhere, are the steering cables too loose?
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1