Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Reconfiguration of the decks
21 May 2013 - 21:17

Reconfiguration of the decks
Hello,
This short note with few pics just to show and get an opinion about the kind of changes that I have made to the deck's layout on Farouche:
1- Winches in the cockpit
2- Organisers, bull eyes and jammers leading all sheets and halyards aft to the cockpit
3- Old winches around the mast re away

Any advises for further reconfiguration?

Thank you//Philippe
(Farouche 47/505)

Winches in the cockpit

Organisers, bull eyes and jammers

A clean deck?

21 May 2013 - 21:21

Mon Cher Philippe,

it's a pity not to have this beauty at the Rendez-vous in Marciana...but I know a lot of people will be happy...because if Farouce is not going to be here they will have the chance to win the "Zeppelin Trophy for the Most Elegant S&S Swan" offered by Jonathan!!!

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

22 May 2013 - 16:27

It is a beaty! Do you think you will still need the sheet blocks?

23 May 2013 - 06:25

Thank you Matteo,

Well, I am not sure what you mean. But yes, I will have blocs on the main track ( a new one with a 3 blocks car) and blocks on the genoa track. Is that what you mean?

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/050)

23 May 2013 - 10:45

Hi Philippe. I am referring to the two genoa sheet blocks on the deck fixed on the two aluminum boxes. Having the winches aft in the cockpit you do not need anymore to turn the sheet forward. Maybe the professor might help. I agree that the sheet and halyard brought back to the cockpit is a practical change, there is only an incredible amount of spaghetti in the small cockpit...

23 May 2013 - 15:00

WOW!

24 May 2013 - 10:07

Dear Matteo and Philippe
With the present location of the sheet winches it is possible to lead the genoa sheets straight from the cars to the winches on both sides, and avoid the use of the big turning blocks. This will reduce friction in the system noticeably.
As there are two cars on the genoa tracks it would also be possible to use the aft ones as additional lead points to control the lead to the winch, but it appears there is no need for this here.
The pictures do not show the genoa sheet cars clearly enough, but could it be that they are installed with their stoppers aft? If so this may be the wrong way around, the integrated stoppers should generally be forward.
Kind regards
Lars

25 May 2013 - 00:28

She's a beauty.  Congrats!

25 May 2013 - 09:52

Hello Lars, Matteo45, CBinRI and Ccolton!
Thank you very much indeed for your kind comments. I will post more precise pics to day. Thank you Lars for letting me know that I can do without the big return blocs. I will check if the stoppers on the cars are back or front. The integrated stoppers should be looking forward? I'll let you know. I still have quite some work to do on the deck configuring all the lines and so on.

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/050)

25 May 2013 - 12:07

Hello Dear All,

Please find here some more pics showing the configuration. Lars, you are right.
-The cars on the Genoa track should be turn around so that the integrated stopper face forward, of course.
-There is now only one genoa track instead of two as previously the case.
-Winches in the cockpit. The most forward are electric.

Thank you for any more comments.

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/050)

Cars will face the other way

One genoa track on each side

View from the mast: organisers to the eye bulls to the jammers to the winches

25 May 2013 - 12:09

Just another general pic for the total impression.

Cheers//Philippe

(Farouche 47/50)

General view

25 May 2013 - 12:25

Hello again,

If you want to see more details, please go to:
https://www.facebook.com/farouche.swan?ref=tn_tnmn

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/50)

25 May 2013 - 13:07

Dear Philippe
Referring to the use of the big turning blocks it appears that they are not aligned for the new winch positions. The upper sheaves probably will work slightly better.
If you would like to have comments pls put a sheet in place and take photos.
Kind regards
Lars

25 May 2013 - 18:17

Dear Lars,

Thank you for your kind offer to make comments. Indeed, I am interested. Here are pics showing the sheets going to the winch directly from the genoa car and through the return blocks.

Please take into account that the sails are not up yet.

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/50)

Through the return blocks

(1)Directly to the winch from the car

(2) Directly to the winch from the car

25 May 2013 - 19:23

Dear Philippe,
I believed that the big aft winch on the stainless steel base was for the genoa sheets. I believe Lars had the same impression. Then, in case you use the more forward winch for the genoa, how do you intend to manage the mainsail sheet?
by the small winches inside the sprayhood?
using the windward winch?
Then, what is the purpose of these big winches aft? I do not think that they have been projected for the gennaker sheets....
Another point: can you turn the handle of the forward winch when the spray hood is open?

Another issue regards the stoppers on the slides of the genoa sheet blocks. I agree with Lars, anyway my experience with these stoppers is that they may be harmful on naked toes and fingers as it happens in summertime. I do not use them anymore.
It is much simpler to pull these sheets forward by a block system, and it is a very simple installation.

These topics are nothing considering that I have never seen such a beautiful renewal of a 47, it looks like having a second life!

25 May 2013 - 21:11

Dear Philippe and Matteo
Indeed I assumed that the forward winches were intended for the halyards and lifts held in the clutches, and the aft ones for the genoa sheets.
Referring to Matteo's interesting comment about the genoa car stoppers and bare feet, the main reason for having the stoppers forward is that the manufacturer made them for this.
See appended sketches, they show how the resultant sheet force loads the car.
In the first case the resultant load is outside the car, in the second case in the middle of it, and this is preferable.
Kind regards
Lars

Stopper aft

Stopper forward

26 May 2013 - 07:41

Dear Philippe,
I have reviewed the pictures, and I see a red sheet for the mainsail around the aft winch, so the aft winch is for managing the mainsail...sorry, in this way you have done correctly, I thought wrongly that you wanted to control the genoa from the helman position...

26 May 2013 - 08:16

Dear lars and Matteo45,

Thank you for your kind comments. Allow me to clarify:

1- The fore winches are electric and can be used to either control all the lift halyards or the genoa. In winch case the genoa sheet may reach these winches directly from the genoa car or through the return block. Both alternatives work. The electric button are on each side of the helm.
2- The aft winches on the SS base can be used to different purpose: For the Genoa (if the fore winches are used for other) or for trimming as well as for the main sheet, as it is visible on an earlier pic. (the BB winch)
3- " smaller winches are on each side of the hatch in the cockpit (see pic) are used to control the track of the main.

ALL control are done from the cockpit, that is from the helm position, except for the winches controlling the main track, but still in the cockpit. All of this works.

Cheers//Philippe
(Farouche 47/050)

The main track

Main track winches

26 May 2013 - 08:23

Dear Philippe
You asked for comments, and I feel the main sheet arrangement deserves one. I believe the main sheet winches are 65's, and with three blocks on the sheet car there are four parts on the sheet, this makes a whopping 260 to 1 power ratio.
For sure easy adjustment for the helmsman, but there will also be a very long sheet to manage. I would suggest that less main sheet power could be considered.
Best regards
Lars

26 May 2013 - 10:58

Dear Lars,

Thank you for your advises. As you say, the adjustment of the main sheet from the helm is now a breeze thanks to the winches and perhaps to the blocks as well.

When you say "less main sheet power could be considered", what do you mean?

Thank you for a clear answer.

Cheers//Philippe
(farouche 47/50)

Main sheet to the ST65 aft at the helm position

26 May 2013 - 13:45

Hi Philippe,
I don't know the 47- I trust it comes with a tie rod.
She looks beautiful
David 43/12

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0