Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 37 strops
07 September 2007 - 15:51

Swan 37 strops
Dear all I am presently doing up a Swan 37 and have got 2 wire strops that have been put in from the deck chain plates down to the hull, with a pad eye on the deck. They obstruct the locker doors and get in the way and I would like to take them out but they look rather structural, are they just supports for no.3 fairleads and does anyone else know of these strops being put in? thanks Ben

03 December 2007 - 00:25

Dear all I am presently doing up a Swan 37 and have got 2 wire strops that have been put in from the deck chain plates down to the hull, with a pad eye on the deck. They obstruct the locker doors and get in the way and I would like to take them out but they look rather structural, are they just supports for no.3 fairleads and does anyone else know of these strops being put in? thanks Ben

Ben,

Dulcinea, hull 17, does not include such strops.  I have never seen a 37 with them. 

Rick McLaren

Dulcinea

02 January 2008 - 12:25

HI Ben,

I can't say anything about the 37s but this seems to be tuning into a standard modification on the 40s which have the same internal elbow support system for the shrouds. On the 40s the load on the rig tends to pull up on the inboard side of the elbow and causes a bump in the deck and a slacking of the rig. Also a deformation of the hull is a result.

I would suggest that a previous owner had this problem and made the modification.

Cheers
Mike

Storm Svale

02 January 2008 - 18:13

Ben

I would like to comment on the wire strops. Mike is right that there may have been problems leading to a decision to increase strength locally, but a better remedy is to reinforce the chainplate knees themselves, and this also refers for the 40:s.

Provided you can provide pictures of the chainplate knees without covers I can give instructions for the reinforcement.

Lars

03 January 2008 - 12:13

Hi All,

I defer to the expert!! (:-) Nice to see you participating here Lars!! You definitely are THE professor!!!
We have all benefited from your expertise and friendly advice!! Thanks again for your help with my rudder problem many years ago on Bermuda. We also discussed the strop modification to my 40 about 10 years ago while I was on the Azores when I first ran into the problem. How time flies..

Again many thanks and fair winds

All the best
Mike

• Threads : 1710
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 1