Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Removing the rudder swan 38
24 September 2014 - 06:15

Removing the rudder swan 38

Hello everyone

I want to remove the rudder of my Swan 38 for replasticize and change stainless steel parts

For this I have to remove the sharp bronze piece that is at the bottom bracket rudder (see photos)

I removed the four screws that you see but this piece is stuck and I can not remove it, I heated with a torch, I typed it like a brute, impossible!

Have you any idea?

24 September 2014 - 15:49

Dear CoCatrix,

I had to remove my rudder and build a new one (could not have even begun this process without the Professor - you all know that!). Like you, I struggled with the bronze rudder shoe removal. The shoe is through-bolted. From Memory, one side of the shoe is threaded and I used an impact driver with a small sledge to loosen then large machine screws. In the end, I think I had to drill out the screws - I'll need to check my notes. Further, once you have the screws out, you may find that the shoe was bedded in 5200 - let's hope not! If so, you'll need to use a release agent.

I tried everything, including heat, but be careful to avoid damage to the glass. Brute force and patience won the day. The story does not end there; extracting the rudder stock is another job! if you need, I can refer to my notes and see about pictures as well.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 I

25 September 2014 - 06:36

Dear Cocatrix:

On my Swan 43 I seem to recall partially supporting the gravity load of the rudder with a jack while heating bronze shoe and tapping with a hammer being careful not to damage the shoe.

Sometimes the full weight of the rudder exerts an eccentric loading on the bronze shoe jamming it against the fiberglass skeg and the rudder will not drop down.

Installation technique would be the reverse of removal. Remember to use NEW extra long bolts with a temporary double nut arrangement to gain maximum torque on the bolts and then grind off excess length. Using just a screw driver will not allow you to tighten the screws adequately (per the Professor's recommendations).

Good Luck,

Hiro Nakajima

25 September 2014 - 22:54

Thank you to all
Finally we managed to get the rudder by removing the fittings (see photo)
It may be helpful to disassemble the rudder stock
If the shoe is not removable and if the rudder stock can not come out on top, it's a problem !
Your notes can be very useful.

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2