Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Baby Blakes Problems on 431
06 March 2008 - 15:59

Baby Blakes Problems on 431

Hi there,

We have had several problems with our BB Head. My flushing pump keeps getting stucked... We were somehow getting used to it, and everytime it stopped functioning we opened up all the system for cleaning it.
Last time we were cruising for a couple of weeks when it stopped working again. I opened it and cleaned the systems but it wouldnt start. I tried to use some sand paper on the rubber parts for I knew that the past owners never changed them and they were visibly expanded, but not even that worked when I could see they were better.
I had to change the head for a new chinese model I had "in stock"... awful. Now I'm waiting for a new Jabsco Head to arrive from WestMarine. But my idea it's to fix the Baby Blake. Does anyone know what to do? I've asked the company and they told me to change all rubber parts, but as I said, they fit already but the pump still won't go on.
Also, should I install a second head? Another 431 in Chile's got one in the bow comparment, inside the middle chain's crate...

06 March 2008 - 17:34

Juan,
I once dismantled entirely my BB and changed all worn parts - spares are extremely expensive but I would never even think of substituting it with another brand. I actually experienced what you are describing only occasionally: at the beginning of the season after a long non use and once I forgot to open the outlet seacock (!). I suggest you look attentively for the true cause of the problem. There are several possibilities: 1) obstruction of the inlet from the bowl to the pump, 2) obstruction in the outlet to the sea, 3) sticking of the rod of the piston through the sealing and 4) sticking of the piston to the wall of the cylinder. Does the sticking happen only in a particular direction of the piston movement? This would indicate problems 1) and 2). Number 3) cannot be a very hard sticking and number 4) can be two-directional and quite hard. Number 4) should be temporarily relieved by pouring liquid soap into the bowl.
I'd like to be of help, just give more information.
Daniel

06 March 2008 - 22:11

After my blake after 25 some years started to cause problems I dismantled it and replaced all parts. I think that it is the only way to do it. All the rubber parts looked fine, but the sea water pump was not performing as it should and the flush function was down to maybe 40%.

I ordered the parts from here http://www.hr-parts.com/Shop/enter.html

06 March 2008 - 22:33

Dear Friends,
a few years ago I replaced all the rubber parts on my BB, and following the attached instructions I sanded them untill they fitted perfectly to the bronze body. I stopped the leaking, but from a week end to the following one it was really hard to operate. Then I had the chance to meet at the London Boat Show an old man at the Blakes Lavac Taylors stand, and he simply suggested me to put every night some liquid soap on the toilet (never put oil on it!). What a pearl of wisdom! I started to put the soap not only at nights, but a lot of it after leaving the boat at the end of week ends, it's unbeliavable it became absolutely smooth!
Try it!
Fair winds
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

07 March 2008 - 10:50

Juan,

I just gave my BB a major overhaul, included new painting etc. I ordered a repair kit at www.marinemegastore.com. For me, they were the cheapest.

I was told that the material of the washer of the discharge pump is absorbing water and therefore it expans. I guess, follow Matteo's solution and replace washer. Good luck!

Maurice

08 March 2008 - 20:31

Hi everybody,

You've been wonderful, thank you all for your help.
About your advices:

Daniel, I thought just as you. I dismantled it, and tried part by part. It seems to me that the problem it's in the cylinder as you said. The inlet from the bowl was just fine, the seacocks were open, and the piston was clearly hard to operate. So, I sanded it. Rubber and bronze parts. Then, I reassembled them and proved the pump in a bucket using the soap as the manual recomends. For a couple of minutes it was good as new, but the strange thing was that the more I used it, the harder it was becoming between 'pompings'. So, I started all again and repeated the whole process for 6 times, when I decided to pack the things up and to stow them.
I did also contacted Blakes and Lavac for spares kit, which was surely expensive, but more than money what worries my it's to buy the spares and parts and that the BB still won't work. My idea it's not to change for ever the head, in fact the Jabsco one I've bought it's just for the moment and in case I can't fix the BB...
I was thinking maybe to send the whole thing to a local workshop to see if they can do anything... you boys think that would be suicide? Or should I buy the spares kit?

Juan

09 March 2008 - 18:44

Juan, from what you write the leather (I think it is leather...) seals of the piston are swelling on use. The only thing I can tell you is: if I were at your place I would buy the kit and perform all the recommended operations personally. They are not difficult and very well explained in the booklet. I don't remember if you wrote that you had already installed new seals. If this is the case, my guess is that you ended up with a defective one and maybe you can ask the Lavac guys to send a new one. If, instead, it is an old seal then my guess is that it is just time to replace it. When I changed the seals I read the note about sanding but I did not do it and everything was ok. Now it's been 7 years. I'll tell you another thing: I actually bought also all the special tools from Blakes... and never confessed it to my wife!
Regards Daniel

12 March 2008 - 03:05

Daniel,

Yes, you're right. I'll email Blakes and Lavac this very night to ask for my Spares Kit. It's definetly what I must do.
Doing differently should just enlarge the whole process and maybe even ruining the head.

I'll keep you all informed about it!
Thank you guys again, and please, don't doubt to write me if there's anything I can help at,

Sincerely,

Juan Allamand

12 March 2008 - 07:08

Dear Juan,
you can order spare parts even at http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/ they are extremely kind and usually ships items immediately.
Fair Wind
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1710
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 1