Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Running Rigging a 1974 S&S 41 (Short rig)
13 April 2008 - 03:21

Running Rigging a 1974 S&S 41 (Short rig)

Although I don't have any pictures handy, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the three single-sheeve blocks on the mast are for. 

There is one on the aft side of the mast (6 o'clock) between the gooseneck and the vang attachment, and another pair at 8 o'clock one about 500mm above the gooseneck on the port side and another 500mm directly below it on  the port side.

My theory is that they were somehow rigged to raise and lower the boom.

Any photos of the correct rigging would be appreciated.

John 

13 April 2008 - 14:01

Matteo, I wrote a long answer, so long that the connection expired meanwhile, but this was not announced until when I finally wanted to upload it

If the text can not be saved I will try again

Lars

13 April 2008 - 18:26

Lars,

occasionally this happened also to me. I guess that the auto-expiration of the session is necessary to avoid the possibility of leaving it open by mistake. I am also afraid that the entered text is lost unless it has been cached somewhere locally in your computer.

We would all be very grateful if you could rewrite your long lost reply!

Regards Daniel

13 April 2008 - 18:59

John

You are right that the blocks are for a boom control tackle. The gooseneck of the roller reefing boom could move along the mast track, and the tackle was needed for keeping this under control. There was probably a block with becket attached to the underside of the gooseneck, and together with the 6 o'clock and lower 8 o'clock block a 3 to 1 tackle was formed, with the tail leading to a deck winch. Is there a fair lead to a winch from the lower 8 o'clock block?

Matteo, is there someting in the S&S Type Plans about such a tackle arrangement?

The reefing procedure started by releasing the halyard about the same distance as the length of the gooseneck track. This lowered the sail including boom to the bottom of the track, and now the roller reefing gear in the gooseneck could be cranked to rotate the boom, and roller reef the sail. This caused the boom and gooseneck to climb up along the track, and at the top either the procedure was repeated, or reefing was finished and the mentioned tackle was used to tension the luff of the sail.

The tackle provided the same function as a Cunningham today, although this name was probably not used for it at the time.

The problem with roller reefing mainsails is that after a few turns of the boom the sail shape becomes too full, and the commonly used remedy was to roll in a few thick sweaters to flatten it. Also nothing can be attached to a roller reefing boom except at the ends, so a solid vang can not be used, and a topping lift is required. A separate claw put around the boom can be used to hold it down if required.

The upper mast block is needed to hold the gooseneck in position as during racing (except during reefing) the boom must not be below the lower P measurement band.

Are there still Swans with functional roller reefing booms? Would appreciate comments from owners

If the boom is modified for slab reefing with a solid vang the gooseneck has to be fixed on the mast track

Lars

16 April 2008 - 16:10

Dear Lars,

I am sorry, I have no idea if there are these drawings, sorry!

Fair wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

03 May 2008 - 06:49

Lars;

Here, at least is one picture. A i have slab reefing and a rigid vang I feel cmfortable inventing new uses for these blocks and no longer feel so inept for mis-rigging a Swan!

John 

18 May 2008 - 12:06

Dear Lars,

My Swan 41 (no 31) still had the roller reefing boom, although it had been converted ( badly) for slab reefing. Two tracks had been added at the boom end with blocks for the reefing lines. These tracks were in the wrong place with a great deal of friction and chaff on the lines. The boom was always rotating by itself into the wrong position as the worm gear was very loose.

Last winter I rebuilt the boom with a sheave box at the outer end. This was quite difficult as I wanted to retain the rather quaint worm outhaul. I managed to design a sheave box with an optional centre sheave which meant that I could eventually abandon the worm outhaul if I got tired of it and use a line back to the mast instead.

I also added a triple rope clutch under the boom, and a custom triple block which fitted where the worm spindle used to be. The boom was permanantly locked solid with a machined plastic spacer and bolts. The reefing lines go down to a snatch block on deck, and hence to the original reefing winch.

The new design works very well. Reefing is now quick and simple

I have attched some pictures

Cosmo Little

18 May 2008 - 12:10

Only one picture is allowed per post, it seems, here is another

18 May 2008 - 12:11

one more

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0