Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 47 - teak deck removed Deck strengthen ?
18 December 2023 - 02:15

Swan 47 - teak deck removed Deck strengthen ?

Ahoy,

we are removing the teak deck on the coach roof around the mast. After removing the teak, the deck has a bit of a spring, when trodden on ( stepped on) 

we are not replacing the teak deck, but applying Kiwi grip.

Question: should  we reinforce the deck with a layer of GRP and epoxy, before painting ?

thanks in advance 

chris 

Saga 47-015

18 December 2023 - 08:45

Dear Chris,

I will send you the lamination plan, in case you do not have it.

I don't think it will be necessary, anyway look at the plan and eventually discuss with an engeneer if you need.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

01 February 2024 - 17:18

Teak is no more than decoration on fibre decks. Swans will be no exception. However I think you should check for moisture in your deck. I understand that can cause delamination and weakening of the deck! Teak used to be fastened with screws and these will let moisture into the fibre sandwich sooner or later. My S&S 48 was stripped of its teak and painted some time before I became owner in 2008. I now had some small paint blisters suggesting screw heads under the paint. I found no screw but screw holes under these blisters. And moisture in the deck fibre on measuring, no delamination yet though. I decided for a major refit before weakening by delamination might occur. Stripping all the deck paint off showed, that the screw holes from the teak had not been dealt with properly. I believe they should have been drilled out and sealed with epoxy. A layer of fibre with epoxy on the sanded deck certainly would be advantageous, just like osmosis is dealt with on underwater hull.  However, moisture, if present, must be dealt with before. Swan decks where already sandwiches with a foam core that will act like a sponge for any humidity seeping in, e.g. by capillary leaks along old teak deck screws. 

Good luck with Your job! Alberto

blisters suggesting screw heads

sanding of deck and opening sandwich windows for drying

close up of sandwich construction

01 February 2024 - 22:06

Dear all,

As far as I know, the sandwich in the deck is closed cell divinicel. Consisting of, the name says it all,  closed cells. Therefore it cannot soak up the water.

jan

swan47-11

• Threads : 1703
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2