Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Autopilot chain
12 February 2024 - 17:28

Autopilot chain

Hello all,

On my Swan 47 I have Raymarine autopilot with a Rotary drive type 2.

During my recent crossing the chain broke.  At the moment we are in Grenada, so getting another chain is diffcult enough, but now it appears that the chain is special for Swans. So not a "normal" (raymarine) chain.

Does anyone know what chain (specs) it is and where to get a new one?

(Don't know why the letter size is changing)

jan

yulunga/swan 47/11

12 February 2024 - 18:09

Dear Jan,

Raymarine chain is normally smaller than the primary chain connected to the steering cables, and I don't think it is a "Nautor" one, by the way original autopilot was likely to be a Neco (or a Sharp), and as far as I remember they had a greater chain (than the Raymarine).

If and when you could get all chain details, please post here (or send me a message), I will see if I can help from this side.

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

13 February 2024 - 01:43

Hi Matteo,

thanks for your reply.

yes the autopilot chain is much smaller than the main steering chain.

when informing by a raymarine dealer, he was sure that, considering the fact that it is a swan, the chain would not be a  "normal" raymarine chain, but a special chain?...

obvisiously he knows?

jan Yulunga 47/11

13 February 2024 - 06:43

Dear Jan,

I never heard it is  especially made for Nautor, anyway Nautor bought steering chains from Whipperman (https://www.wippermann.com/en/), you may ask directly, or Nautor of course, if you prefer; you can ask both prices, I am curious to know if even for this product Nautor is charging the retail price a few times.

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0