Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Water Tank to Fuel Tank Conversion
28 June 2008 - 17:29

Water Tank to Fuel Tank Conversion
My Swan 53 vintage 1990 has 3 water tanks and two fuel tanks.  I would like to convert one water tank (70 gal) to fuel.  My preferred approach is to run a bottom of tank line from the water tank to be converted, located next to the fuel tank, to the fuel tank and tee the vent from the water tank to the existing fuel tank.  This will make the two tanks appear as one and not require another deck fuel filler or change to the fuel manifold.  This will require cutting a hole through the stringer between the tanks.  Has anyone done this and what was the result?  Thanks, Peter.

29 June 2008 - 12:27

Dear Peter

It is unlikely that you will get owner replies on this forum, as your Swan 53 is a Frers design. Swan Owners Association of America may be a better place.

Anyway, the following should be considered:

- The connection between the two tanks has to be flexible, because the tanks move somewhat in use. To minimise movement their attachment to the bottom structure has to be in order.

- If the tanks are close together it may be difficult to make proper connections with double hose clips each end. An alternative way is to turn the connections towards the centerline, and join them in that area.

- One connection as big as the filler line is needed, if it is difficult to fit this at the bottom of the tank it could be put higher up, but then an additional small connection is needed at the bottom.

- Approved fuel hose to be used both for the connection and the vent line. A leak in the connection can empty the content into the bilge

- The holes cut in the bottom structure must not reduce the strength seriously. If you could provide pictures of the intended locations and shapes comments can be given

- A Speed-Consumption-Range diagram was included with the Owner's Manual to aid in planning trips under power, is it still there? Refers with the original engine and propeller only

Kind regards

Lars

29 June 2008 - 23:31

Thanks Lars.  Your recommendations are spot on.  I will take pictures of the tanks and post.

I have the original tankage and engine flow document from the factory.  The engine and prop are original so the document still applies - about 2.2 gallons/hour at 2200 rpm.

I think the tank change would be good as the boat has 70, 70 and 60 gallon water tanks and a water maker.  Fuel is 70 and 40 gallon tanks.  The switch to another 70 gallons of fuel would increase fuel capacity by 60% providing another 30 hours of motoring capability.  The watermaker can provide an ongoing supply of fresh water so no need to carry it.  Thanks, Peter.

30 June 2008 - 09:29

Dear Peter

Thank you for the prompt reply. As the holes and their details are not really a matter for this forum it is suggested you send the pictures directly to me

lars.strom@nautors-swan.com

Kind regards

Lars

30 June 2008 - 12:42

Will do.  Thanks again, Peter.

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0