Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - buying swan 40
29 July 2008 - 16:23

buying swan 40
I am interested in buying a swan 40. Can anybody tel me there weaknesses where I should specificaly look for.

03 August 2008 - 07:44

Hi Kees

From what I have seen in this forum you should look for corrosion at the mast step and a distortion of the deck where the shrouds are attached. This later seems to be specific to the 40. In general these are very well put together boats but as they are in excess of 35 years old the condition is based on how well previous owners have looked after them. I am just back from a 3 week vacation on ours and again no problems. Great boat and in my eyes always the prettiest boat in the harbor.
Good luck and if you have any specific questions I am sure forum members or Lars can help out as well. Feel free to contact me. I have a bit of experience reassembling mine.

Cheers
Mike
Storm Svale.

03 August 2008 - 10:43

Thanks Mike. I think this is helpfull information. I don`t know much about grp boats because I used to own a wooden 1937 classic yacht. I sold her so now I`m looking for a swan 40. I love her lines.

04 August 2008 - 11:22

Hi Kees

I know what you mean by the lines!  Seems like every year I start out thinking that with the kids getting bigger we need more space and maybe we should think about a bigger/more spacious boat. After seeing her on anchor or in a harbor I always end up saying to myself I will suffer the space problem. She is too pretty and sails too well to give up!!

Good luck in your search!

Mike

Storm Svale

• Threads : 1710
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0