Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 46mk2 vs Swan 47
14 August 2008 - 12:55

Swan 46mk2 vs Swan 47
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and find it a very interesting source of information. Here is my question: we (my father, brother and I)own a Swan 46mk2 which we find a pleasure to sail. Now, I'd like to own a swan of same dimensions for myself and my wife, in the 150000 euros range, and I immediatly thought about the 47. Since it's an older design, I wonder if it's much more difficult to sail than the 46, and what behaviour at sea I should expect when compared to the 46 (is it much slower, stiffer, wetter ...). Another question concerns structural integrity. Someone told me that the S&S Swans were overbuilt but not in all aspects, could you give me some precisions (I imagine laminates were overbuilt, but not deck hardware) ? Do you think that despite the age difference btw the 46 and 47, the 47 is still a stronger boat than the 46mk2 ? If someone has sailed on the two boats mentioned, I would be glad if he could share his experience.

Kind regards to all,

François uhem

08 September 2008 - 08:42

Francois, sorry for the delayed response. I own a Swan 47 or NYYC 48 as my centreboard Mk 11 version is called.I haven't sailed on a Swan 46, but I have raced against several and in all conditions except very light the 47 is competitive. We were once place ahead of the top 46 at the last Rolex Cup in Sardinia.
I have had no structural issues at all, but some early boats had reinforcement around the shroud plates - the professor would know more about this. Our boat is very heavy, 19 tons, and I think this suits the centreboard configuration because she is very stiff.
On the Mark 11 layout I'd say that the saloon is better than the 46 as its 9 feet long and the aft cabin less good than the usual centreline berth on the 46. Our aft berths, a double and a single were factory built 3 inches wider but the double is still narrow.
Hope this helps. Please email me if you have any other questions, Gavin

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0