Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Wheel's block
04 September 2008 - 12:10

Wheel's block
Dear Friends,

my wheel's block ( 48') in the pedestral is not working anymore. If I understand well there should be a sort of plastic cap at the end of the stainless steel knob which should press the chain and stop it from moving.

does anyone of you have a picture/drawing of how it should be? is it still possible to find the plastic cap or do I have to adapt/shape something different?

Sergio
Clarion of Skye (48-042)

06 September 2008 - 15:32

Dear Sergio

There is a brake drum on the wheel shaft with a shoe around it. The brake wheel shaft goes through two flanges on the shoe, and forces them together.

What are the symptoms, can you go on screwing on the brake wheel without getting to a stop?

Best regards

Lars

08 September 2008 - 09:34

Dear Lars,

Thanks for your answer.
Yes I go on screwing on the brake wheel without getting a stop. Is there anything I can do?

Best regards

Sergio

08 September 2008 - 16:33

Sergio

The thread which tightens the brake shoe is gone. The pedestal head needs to be opened to fix this, and there are two covers to open - the top cover onto which the compass is attached, and the front cover which holds the steering wheel shaft in place.

The top cover is slightly conical, and held by four small set screws near the lower edge. The front cover is circular, and held by the slot head screws. For a yacht of this age it might be difficult to open the screws due to corrosion, an impact screwdriver may be helpful.

If there is play in the wheel shaft bearings it would be good to replace them at the same time.

Regards

Lars

08 September 2008 - 17:32

Thanks again Lars.

Sergio

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0