Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - swan 40 checklist?
09 September 2008 - 19:18

swan 40 checklist?
Next friday I am going to look at a swan 40 which is for sale. Can anybody provide me a (survey)list of things to look at?  This way I can do a small pre-survey.

10 September 2008 - 09:50

HI Kees,

On my list are corrosion at the mast step and the elbow support for the shrouds. Here, look for deformation of the deck i.e. a lifting of the deck where the shrouds are attached, also a pulling away of the elbow inside from the hull. This is not difficult to fix. Other than that just the regular issues facing boats in excess of 35 years old. Hopefully she has been well maintained but this is easy to see.

Good luck

Mike

10 September 2008 - 12:04

First of all consider that everything - and I mean it - can be fixed and, after that, you will end up with one of the few best built sailboats in the world!
It is also true that any flaw that needs fixing has its price and must be considered objectively in the final sale price of the boat.
Possible checklist:
1) osmosis (buy a gauge, its price is worth the discount you may obtain - personal experience)
2) rudder bearings.
3) junction between keel and hull: cracks are normal, bleeding is not.
4) log propeller (original B&G replacements are very difficult to find).
5) seacocks (look if the cones are pitted).
6) propeller, shaft and bearing.
7) corrosion in: i) mast step (already cited), ii) boom, iii) mast gooseneck, iv) spreaders.
8) mast wind unit, if applicable (see point 3).
9) backstay tensioner (no way to fix a 30 years old original unit).
10) all deck hardware: winches, mastfoot blocks, mainsheet traveler, genoa cars and tracks.
11) all instruments including: VHF, wind, log, depth.
12) autopilot.
13) anchor, chain, windlass.
14) engine. This is a main subject and would need its own checklist.
15) toilet: the original Baby Blake is the best (my opinion!) and I would never trade it but spares are extremely expensive.
16) toilet: waste tank, discharge pump and Y valve (if applicable), sump pump, faucet and foot pump.
17) all water system including hoses, valves, water heater (if applicable) and pressure water pump.
Many of the above item would need some more explanation but I cannot write a new bible!
I left obvious items which will be evident at first sight like the deck, internal upholstery etc.

Daniel, 411-004

10 September 2008 - 13:54

I do not know if this applicable to you but as it is season on going I would sail it and try to use every equipment onboard.

There are plenty of books for self survey but it is a challenge. My top three items;

- Engine is the most difficult spot to analyse but if it runs and starts beaútifully it is a good sign. (replace:15 000 euro)

- Condition of the hull is closely related to general condition you can see on the deck. (remember that there is no one taking responsibility of the success of the osmosis treatments - or does someone know a yard that gives quarantees?).

- Deck (replace : 30 000 euro min)   

as a bonus, I would say that good previous owner and well known broker are best quarantees for your success. I would be happy to recommend Alan or Jennifer in scandinavian yachts/newport if in your area.

If you can, you could shoot as many pictures as you can from all important parts. It is easy to discuss afterwards if good pictures exist. You can even send some of them to Nautor for their consultancy (in current world they need to charge you).  

jussi

10 September 2008 - 13:57

Thankyou for your time and info. I am realy excited to check her out.

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0