Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Pros and cons buying a classic Swan 36 from 1970
10 November 2008 - 15:51

Pros and cons buying a classic Swan 36 from 1970

Hello

I am considering to buy a classic Swan 36 from 1970. It seems to be a beautiful sailing yacht. However I would like to ask the forum if there is something I should know – pros and cons – technically and sailing vise. Is this as strong built yacht as I think or is there any general hidden problems or challenges I should be aware of.

By the way your website   classicswan.org and S&S Swan Association is just perfect. I will surely register if I end up buying a Swan Yacht.

Terje

10 November 2008 - 16:38

Dear Terje

I am not answering to the specific matter regarding the pros/cons on the 36 (as I own a 38), but would just like to thank you for the compliments, actually it's people like you that makes this website and its forum really useful.

Hope you'll find "your" S&S Swan 36, which is a fantastic and incredibly fast boat!

Fair Wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

11 November 2008 - 12:46

Well, at least check the integrity of the deck, rust on the mast foot besides all regular checkpoints. Which 36 is it you are looking for?

br,

niklas

11 November 2008 - 22:36

Dear Terje,

I make the wild guess that you read Swedish fairly well. If that's the case, you will find plenty of background reading material on Swan 36 on the website for the Finnish Swan 37 'Tarantella II'. See the first chapter of the 'book': http://www.tarantella.fi/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=80

or the English excerpt

http://www.tarantella.fi/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=83

I can not help you out with identifying particular weak points. Perhaps The Professor has some advice. As a start you could look at the S&S Swan Maintenance section of this website to get an idea of what is involved in a restoration, which the boat have in mind may or may not need. Beyond that, hiring a professional surveyor is likely money well spent.

If you are considering the Swan 36 for sale here in Norway and that boat really appeals to you, I'd say go for it and make a low offer. It's been listed for sale for a long time (a year perhaps). Personally, I would have preferred a less 'pimped up' version with fewer exterior details to varnish. Sales prospect and pictures here: http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/object?finnkode=14404248 for those who are curious.

Cheers,
Harald

17 November 2008 - 19:53

Hello again

I appreciate the information in this forum. However due to the financial situation in our country right now and consequently quite an unstable market situation for things like this I will probably wait a couple of months to see how the market works on the price on this yacht.

Terje

• Threads : 1710
  • Members: 822
  • Online Members: 0