Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Bottom paint selection
06 February 2009 - 02:25

Bottom paint selection

Good day all.

I am looking for ideas and comments regarding bottom paint. Specifically, is there a preferential type of bottom paint (hard coat versus ablative) for the Mediterranean and/or English Channel? Does location matter that much between the Med and the Channel?

Is one brand name consider superior to all others? What are important characteristics to consider?

I look forward to your usual lively comments.

Best regards,

P Milo

s/v The Last of the Normal People

Swan 47(048)

06 February 2009 - 07:03

Dear Milo

in the Med, as I think nowdays quite everywhere, we have to use enviroment friendly bottom paint. It means they are not good enough to do the job of antifouling...

Personally I tried Boero Mistral, Jotun and then the International, all of them are not at all good products, but this is what you can find on the market.

Fair wind!

Matteo 38/067 Only You

06 February 2009 - 09:20

Dear Milo,

I agree with Matteo that the "new" type ones are rally less active than the old ones. The only difference now , as far as I have been told by a manufacturer, is the colour.
First choice should be red , and then all the other ones , with white at the end of the scale. This is because to obtain a different coulor starting from the red one , they have to add elements which decrease the properties of the anti-fouling.

I hope this helps

fair winds

Sergio/Clarion of Skye 042/48

14 February 2009 - 20:49

Hello Milo,

I might have the answer for you: try the International BQA 109. It comes in large quantity only (20 liter) thus you might want to share it with one or two other boats. It is the perfect bottom paint. It is not a paint that you can find in your ordinary chandler. You will have to order it through a yard or from a wholesaler of International paint. It comes in black and in brown. I can assure you that this paint is really worth the effort of getting it. It last for at least 3 years and, when you take your boat out of the water, after a simple kaersher cleaning, you hardly notice any difference from when you applied the paint three years earlier.

So go ahead and get the International BQA 109!

Good Luck//Philippe

Swan 47/50

20 February 2009 - 04:16

Hey Guys:

Very helpful and thoughtful suggestions. Given my situation and time frame, I will probably have to go with something I can purchase locally (US Virgin Islands). It is all starting to point to Interlux Micron 66. It is very popular on this side of The Pond, not so sure about over your way. The comment about red paint is noted, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I like the dark blue too much. :)

Cheers,

Milo

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0