Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - AC Power Inlet Location (110/220)
12 February 2009 - 18:52

AC Power Inlet Location (110/220)

Greetings Swan Associates,

We are finally adding 110 (US) AC to Inspiration (38/090). And we are trying to figure out what the ideal location is for the main AC inlet receptacle.

Did Nautor have a location in mind when the boat was built (this might have been an option at purchase time).

Please let me know where your inlet is located on your swan 38. (any other advice on cable runs also appreciated).

Thanks all.

Regards,

Nathan (s/v Inspiration 38/090)

12 February 2009 - 19:45

Dear Nathan,

here you are, this is where it is on Only You (38/067)

Fair wind!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

12 February 2009 - 22:38

Thanks Matteo. Great pic.

Can you describe where the cable runs from the inside of this location to get to your AC main distribution panel or AC breaker?

Do you know if this was installed by Nautor or after the fact?

Thanks for all your help.

-Nathan

12 February 2009 - 22:47

Dear Nathan

I installed it last year (it used to be inside the cockpit, under the aft locker, did not like this position), the cable runs back to the aft locker, then on port side to the main panel

Fair Wind

Matteo

12 February 2009 - 23:25

Dear Nathan,

on Infant, the AC connection is installed inside the cockpit, on the port side. The charger is installed on the bulkhead, under the main cabin upper port side berth.

Best wishes,

Jyrki (Infant, 38/014)

13 February 2009 - 20:36

Thanks everyone. Your information was helpful.  I'm Leaning towards stbd side, but inside (forward of throttle lever). Just inside part of cockpit from where Matteo's is installed, or opposite side from where it is installed on Infant.  I'm going from there forward to inverter/charger on starboard lower settee above battery compartment and think I will avoid going to or near DC main distribution panel. I'm going to put a 30 amp dual pole breaker accessible from the kitchen to shut off shoreservice from there directly if needed. This should allow me to have a shorter cable run. The inverter/charger will then go to 3 ac outlets from there.

I'll post a photo of final install location once completed for reference.

Regards,

-Nathan

14 February 2009 - 20:57

Hello Nathan,

I think that the Shore power inlet, on the majority of old and new Swans, is situated on the Port Outside. Please see picture attached.

Good luck/Philippe

Swan47/50

15 February 2009 - 10:21

Nathan,

One more thing:

1-You must absolutely install an earth breaker device on the inside just after the shore power inlet. It is a matter of security.

2- You'll be better off if you also insatlled a Zinc saver between the shore power inlet and the earth breaker. This will prevent some of the galvanic current to get at your metal parts and corrode them. This is a common problem nowadays in all marinas. Even if your power cord is not connected to shore, the galvanic current is circulating in the water of the marinas, diffused by the numerous other boat's connections to power as well as by the installations of the marina itself. One of the poles of the Zinc saver must be connected to your boat's anode bolts and/or to your battery bank's negative terminals.

3 Now, if you really want to be on the very safe side, then, instead of a Zinc Saver, you must install an Isolation Transformer of the kind manufactured by Victron. This will do the job and much more.

Cheers/Philippe

Swan47/50

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0