Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - 48' steering tube/Gland
11 April 2009 - 08:19

48' steering tube/Gland
Dear all ( Dear Lars )

I found a leak in the steering tube gland of about 10 to 15 l/h. I have tried more than once to tighten it , but it still leaks . In addition even with a gland fully tightened the steering is still loose.
I read the last post sent by Klaus the 15 February and the following answer from Lars which suggests a full replacement of the internal seal with a Teflon one of 5 mm.
The packing I found inside the gland looks like a graphite one (gray/black color) and is around 6.5 mm.
I am wondering if the 48’ should have the same 5 mm seal and therefore the 6.5 mm I found is the result of an over tightening or if I have to look for a 6.5/7 mm one
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sergio Clarion of Skye 48/042

11 April 2009 - 13:51

Dear Sergio

It sounds like the seal is too small. According to the records it should be 5/16" which is close to 8 mm.

Suggest you unscrew the gland, and measure the slot between rudder stock and gland inside, the slot determines the dimension.

If the present seal is graphite impregnated you should remove it, and check the stock and gland for corrosion. Graphite is very high in the galvanic series and will cause stainless material to corrode when both are immersed in sea water.

Happy Easter!

Lars

15 April 2009 - 13:19

Dear Lars, thank you for your answer. I 'll first a buy a 8 mm one and will try to fit it.

Sergio

• Threads : 1708
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0