Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - 411 electric anchor windlass
17 April 2009 - 14:04

411 electric anchor windlass

Hi

The 411. I have recently aquired has no anchor windlass. I am considering a Lofrans vertical electric windlass. Before I purchase the equipment and cut holes in the deck, it would be very useful to hear from owners that have a successful installation.

I would be interested in how well the chain stows below, how any waterproofing has been taken care of and any other tips anyone may have.

Regards

Paul

29 April 2009 - 14:17

Hello.

you should go around the website as there already has been long discussions about anchor chain storage, and positions. One possibility is to send the chain between the two front pipecots instead of using the original storage bin. The professor suggested making a box 30cmX30cm with sufficient hight so as to avoid chain blockage (10mm chain).

Fairwinds.

Philippe 41/022

30 April 2009 - 13:29

Philippe

Thanks for that, I will look back in the posts.

Regards

Paul

411 042

30 April 2009 - 18:33

Hi Paul,

I have recently just removed the old Simpson & Lawrence (Lewmar) vertical windlass from my Swan 40 to repair as the bearing at deck level has rusted solid, I have never used it as we bought the boat as a restoration project and have only recently put her back in the water so I have no idea if the installation works well or not. However I plan to re-fit the windlass this weekend so as long as my camera works I can take some photo’s for you if you like. Is there anything in particular you would like to see?

Best Wishes

Jason

(Can-Can IV – 40/29)

03 May 2009 - 13:44

Paul, FYI I fitted a Lewmar V3 S/S horizontal without rope gipsy. I also fitted a Lewmar chain stopper in line. I have a removeable piece of plywood layed from the winch to the roller to protect the deck.

The windlass is fitted directly above the dividing wall in the chain locker so that when wet chain is recovered it can be lead into the forward compartment which is self draining. I have layed some plastic web matting on the floor of this compartment to allow the chain to sit above any water.

On the top of the dividing wall I have cut and placed a piece of plastic pipe to stop any rubbing by the chain.

When the chain is dry I move it to the lower and further aft compartment to get the weight further back and lower down. You will find the 411 sensitive to weight at the front.

I made the mistake of not getting the chain gipsy matched to my old chain so had to buy a new chain, 50 meters of 3/8th calibrated chain which is joined to 50 meters of warp.    

Good news you got your 411.

Fair winds

John B

Avista 

04 May 2009 - 22:21

Jason

Thanks for the offer of the photos. The layout of your 40 is slightly different than the 411 so I will need to carry out the installation differently, but thanks anyway.

Regards

Paul

04 May 2009 - 22:30

John

Thanks for the information.Do I understand that you have cut part of the first small bulkhead away to allow the chain to be taken either into the foremost part of the bow or to take the fall of the chain into the main forepeak?

Is the windlass on the centre line, or off to starboard in line with the bow roller?

You are correct about not having the weight of chain too far foward, there are a number of 41`s and 411`s that trim well down by the bow probably due to this.

Best Regards

Paul

• Threads : 1708
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0