Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Renewing propane hoses
21 June 2009 - 18:18

Renewing propane hoses
An insurance surveyor requested the renewal the two rubber hoses of the propane line: the one on the side of the propane bottle and the one on the side of the kitchen stove. As I do not have my boat close, this summer I need to carry the ready-to-be-installed hoses along with me. Has anyone the exact specifications and references for a 411 that will allow me to prepare the two sets in advance?
Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Daniel, 411-004

24 June 2009 - 07:19

Daniele

LPG hoses are usually standardized in each country, and if you have rubber hose now you can buy a sufficient length and cut and install it yourself.

On some Swans there are special hoses with stainless braid on the outside and threaded connections, then a supplier has to be found, and the length and thread is required

Pressure testing is recommended after hose replacement

Lars

25 June 2009 - 13:54

Thank you, Lars,
after your useful advice I will carry a couple of meters of standard LPG hose and a number of stainless hose clamps and, hopefully, that will do.
By the way, just for informing all the friends reading the forum: a certified surveyor complained that my rubber LPG hoses did not have an expiration date marked on them - apparently a good reason for voiding insurance coverage.
Of course they did not have the date, they were the original hoses: 32 years old and still good!

Daniel, 411-004

27 June 2009 - 11:10

Daniele

LPG rubber hose tends to deteriorate with the time.

A simple rubber hose condition test can be done on board. It requires that one end of the hose is disconnected.

Bend the hose very sharply, so it is locally doubled, and inspect the surface at the outside of the bend closely. If there are cracks visible in the rubber surface it is time to renew the hose.

Kind regards

Lars

• Threads : 1708
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1