Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 43 for Cruising
31 August 2009 - 02:49

Swan 43 for Cruising
Hi all,

I have bee reading along here and am glad to find several Swan 43 owners. I am taking a hard look at one as I think it would work out for me and my family (wife, 2y/o and 3 month old) for a 6 month cruise in the Sea of Cortez in about 25 months. We may decide to extend the cruise with a possible Pacific Crossing. I was ready to make an offer but was hesitant due to the deep draft. Deep draft in comparison anyways to some full keelers but I always thought conventional wisdom was less than 6'. Anyway looking for thoughts on this model for a cruiser and words of wisdom in regards to the draft. Gorgeous boat either way.

Thanks in advance.

31 August 2009 - 09:33

Hi OneEyedJack, I don't think the draft is going to be an issue for that part of the world, it is all deep water around there. If you are looking for a safe, solid boat that can perform, any of the SS Swans are the best option. Items to be concern are water tankage, sun protection, battery capacity, refrigeration, but that's for any cruising boat. Good luck, Rodrigo

31 August 2009 - 09:46

I had a 43 for a couple of years, but I found the draft to be just a little too much for cruising up here in the Swedish archipelago. I just couldn't get close to all the little inlets and bays that boats with a shallower draft could get to. I eventually sold it and had a Swan 40 for over a decade, and wish I'd kept it...the slightly shallower draft made a big difference to our cruising enjoyment. If the waters are deep enough a 43 is a good bet, but the 40 is more enjoyable from my point of view.

03 September 2009 - 14:22

Mr One eyed jack.

I have a 411 with 2.2m draft. Sailed mainly around the East Coast of the Uk which is notoriously shallow with moving sand banks, sand bars on estuary entrances and lots of mud. The tidle range is 3.5m

I personally would never trade off the get you home performance that a deep keel gives you, thats what I want from a cruising yacht. Just take a bit more care, in planning your trips and entries.  

Makes life that bit more interesting! 

Fair winds

04 September 2009 - 04:28

Ok after 3 years of searching and couple of low ball bids (two sparkman and stephen designs but not swans) that were rejected I am about to make an offer on a Swan 43. Tired teak decks are of course a major concern and some posts I read here about we fiberglass but every yacht is a compromise. No separate shower, deep fin keel are some on this vessel but I am going to let my broker to draw up the paperwork right now.

Wish me luck.

04 September 2009 - 20:16

Mr One eyed jack.

GO FOR IT. Old Swans were built like tanks and if in not fantastic conditon are usually fully depreciated, so with a bit of TLC and cash they will be a resonable financial investment in the longer term. 

21 September 2009 - 04:59

OEJ, good luck on your pending transaction.  We bought ours nearly three years ago with an eye specifically toward cruising.  We are currently living and working overseas (Oz) but next year is the year to get her off the hard and go.  RE teak decks:  there are any number of owners who will squeal at this suggestion, but get rid of them.  Initially it is quite a project but you'll never have to worry about maintaining them or leaks.  I'd be very interested in how you're making progress.  Regards, Ed Zehr

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0