Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Rudder extension on 411s
26 February 2010 - 21:23

Rudder extension on 411s

I have just been looking through the orignal Swan drawings supplied with my yacht and notice that the end of the rudder is level with the end of the skeg. Yet on my yacht the rudder is longer.

Do other owners have this change also?

Was it a Swan initiated change from the original based on the performance of the first few yachts? 

John B

27 February 2010 - 00:22

John.

Yes the rudder on our 411 (hull 042) is also extended below the skeg.

I was led to believe that this was a later alteration, and not original, however I would be interested to hear otherwise.

Paul Bond

27 February 2010 - 08:54

Dear John,

could you please post some pictures?

thanks a lot!

Fair Winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

27 February 2010 - 18:01

Regarding 411-004, I can confirm that rudder and skeg are as in original drawings.

Daniel, 411-004

27 February 2010 - 22:02

Guys, please find attached picture.

Mine is hull no 010 . It would be good to know when the extension was made in terms of hull no, if it was a Swan modification. 

Also to so to see some other modifications if not made by Swan.

I get some cracking around the mid section pintal, not sure if this is due to the loading or that the bolts just need to be tightened on the straps.

I understood one owner had even taken the skeg off and converted to semi balanced rudder.

28 February 2010 - 20:15

Hi John, Yes, the rudder on my yacht Wotan 411-40 extends below the bottom of the skeg. (See attached photo.) The drawing of the hull which I have in my files dated 30 July 1976 shows the rudder extending to the bottom of the skeg and no further. I visited the S&S office in NY when I sailed over there in 2006. I saw the files containing the original drawings of the 411. I noticed that there were a significant number of design changes, which I would image to be quite normal when developing a yacht and in discussion between the designers and the yard. I saw a lot of telexes from the Professor approving changes! I am aware that a number of 411 owners have extended their rudders or modified their rudders to provide better directional stability running downhill under spinnaker. I personally have never found directional stability a problem, but I do not race. Cheers  Anthony

01 March 2010 - 13:05

I have just been looking through the orignal Swan drawings supplied with my yacht and notice that the end of the rudder is level with the end of the skeg. Yet on my yacht the rudder is longer.

Do other owners have this change also?

Was it a Swan initiated change from the original based on the performance of the first few yachts? 

John B

Corazon #41 - extended - based on the way she performs, I am satisfied - I wonder where exactly the issues were that led to the mod - was it to gain leverage while heeled? With the rudder so far aft, and not undersized in general, would have thought what was there enough, but to end where i started, she handles well now, so all is well.

02 March 2010 - 19:26

Dear all

The Swan 411 rudders were made deeper after receiving feedback from racing owners reporting broaching. The hull number from which this happened may be on record at the yard provided somebody can find this old information.

The cracking at half height in the picture indicates that there is too much flexing in the blade at this point. If reinforcement becomes necessary this has to be put outside the straps.

Also the Swan 41 and Swan 44 rudders were made deeper at some stage. For the 44 this was done from hull 064 in connection with the change to the heavier keels, and the rudders were made 8 inches deeper.

Several 44:s have major modifications to keels and rudders done later according to either Johan Valentijn, Scott Kaufman, or Jim Taylor designs

Kind regards

Lars

04 March 2010 - 19:14

Lars, can you please explain how you would want to see the re-inforcing done.

Make the straps broader

Tighten the straps

Build up the rudder 

Thanks

06 March 2010 - 09:38

Dear John

The recommendation is to reinforce the blade skins locally in the vertical direction.

This can be done by adding patches of GRP over the straps each side, bridging the recess.

The patches needs to have tapered ends, and can be either glued or laid up in place. They should be straigth continuations of the skin laminate

If you can inform which glass reinforcements are available, and the thickness that fits into the strap recess this enables a layup proposal to be made.

The thickness, length, and width of the blade below the crack is also important information.

Epoxy resin recommended.

Kind regards

Lars

07 March 2010 - 13:11

Hi,

Just for information it seems as I have an enlarged rudder also on my Swan 40 as shown in the attached photo. According to my experience from offshore racing her with spinnaker today, this was obviously needed to avoid broaching during spinnaker sailing. I am however not sure whether this was changed from the beginning by Nautor or after some racing experience by the former owner. 

Fair winds,

Leif

(Sunniva V, Swan 40#36)

11 March 2010 - 09:58

Regarding 411-009, the rudder and skeg are as in original drawings.
stefano

18 March 2010 - 21:51

Stefano, my is no 010 so it looks like mine was the first one they changed at the yard. 

21 March 2010 - 23:05

Paul

I was the previous owner of the 411/42 and had the rudder off to have new bearings fitted. The work was done by Berthon. Spoke to Swan about it at the time and they sent me a drawing of the rudder which was extended when she was first built.

She was built for a Norwegian and dry raced for most of her first 10 years, then sold to a Danish guy who owned her for a number of years then sold into French ownership. I bought her form him via Berthon.

The drawings were passed on when I sold her.

Andy

05 March 2012 - 17:13

John.

Yes the rudder on our 411 (hull 042) is also extended below the skeg.

I was led to believe that this was a later alteration, and not original, however I would be interested to hear otherwise.

Paul Bond

Paul

Swan 411-42 was my boat and we replaced the rudder bearings in her at Berthon back in 1999, At the time I talked to the Proff and he told me it was a factory modification for the first owner. Andy

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1