Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - ARC Awlgrip and Trinidad
06 April 2010 - 09:26

ARC Awlgrip and Trinidad
Hi Folks,

We are planning our Trans Atlantic (ARC 2011), the excitement level is rising. Anyway, we are thinking of getting the hull done while we are visiting Trinidad. Has, anybody had any experience with the yards there?

Is anyone else doing the 2011 ARC??

Cheers

Mike and the crew of Stormsvale

13 April 2010 - 10:32

I picked up a 411 in Trinidad a couple of years ago, I spent 2 weeks in the yard getting work done and my impressions are : the yard in Chagaramus (Power Boat Mutual Facilities Ltd. contact Brent Agar brent@powerboats.co.tt) was very good and responsive; but the yard doesn't do any work, all work is with separate contractors, of which some are good and some are definitely not. You have to shop around. The yard is full of real off shore sailors, very much a contrast to european harbors, so once there you can get info and help. Good luck, a presto Pippo 411/22

17 April 2010 - 08:08

Thanks Pippo,

I will contact them in advance and discuss the potential for alwgrip work. Sounds in Trinidad like everywhere else local knowledge is critical. Thanks for the tip about the offshore community!! I have found they are a great source of information and camaraderie. As soon as one gets into more remote sites, Bermuda, Azores etc there is a completely different attitude in evidence. Looking forward to experiencing this again!!

Thanks agin

MIke and crew

25 April 2010 - 20:48

Hi Mike:

I lived in the US Virgin Islands on my boat for 18 months in 2008/09. If you end up in the USVI, I can offer comment. I did not sail down to Trinidad, so cannot offer any advice. I did sail over to Europe with the ARC Europe 2009 group and had a fantastic experience. If you are looking for a fun, safer way to come back, you may well consider it for your return leg. I think the return leg gives you more chance to meet and socialize as apart from the start and finish, there are two other stops (Bermuda and the Azores). The ARC organization were freindly and helpful. It also proved to be a reasonably good deal as we had 6 or 7 marina nights included in the cost of the admission fee. Not bad!

Cheers,

Milo

s/y The Last of the Normal People

Swan 47(048)

25 August 2010 - 15:23

Hi Milo,

Thanks for the info. We are not sure when we are coming back to Europe so linking up with ARC Europe may be difficult. I will be on a working sabbatical and we will probably end up doing the great circle northern route back as we probably won't have much time. Any info on the Virgin Islands would be helpful!! We hope to visit!! As for the paint. I have decided to make it one of my boat projects when I get back. A new hobby in the making.

All the best

Mike

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0