Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Origins of a "Swan 43"
24 April 2010 - 23:08

Origins of a "Swan 43"
I'm looking to buy a Swan 43. The hull is beautiful but some aspects of the fit out don't seem to match the Swan 43's on this site. One strange thing is that the steering pedestal and main sheet traveler are far forward in the cockpit. They almost block the cabin entry. Is this a Swan option or has someone tampered with the original layout - or is she not a genuine Swan?

25 April 2010 - 10:19

Dear Stuart

Some of the 43:s had very short booms, the intention was to optimize for the rating rule at the time. Assume this boom is very short also?

The three concentric wheels show the setup for a trim tab, and the tag line arrangement is original. Is there room for a mainsheet winch?

A few more pictures would confirm the matter. Does she have a hull number and name?

Kind regards

Lars

26 April 2010 - 14:00

Hi, Looking at the photos, the mainsheet track and fittings and arrangement appear to be very similar or identical to those used on my 1972 Swan 40 Can-Can.

Best wishes

Jason

08 May 2010 - 07:58

Dear Stuart

Some of the 43:s had very short booms, the intention was to optimize for the rating rule at the time. Assume this boom is very short also?

The three concentric wheels show the setup for a trim tab, and the tag line arrangement is original. Is there room for a mainsheet winch?

A few more pictures would confirm the matter. Does she have a hull number and name?

Kind regards

Lars

Hi Lars.

Thanks for the reply. The boom seems a normal length, however it has a strop around it that the mainsheet comes off. I think this was done to facilitate a move of the steering pedestal, and mainsheet track forward. The entry to the cabin feels quiet blocked by this arrangement.

There is a large wooden boat in the companion way with the following number: ON 856478L0A13.10M, and the boat is (now) called Circe. The boat is quiet tired and I'd like to find out as much as I can about it before buying it and commencing a major restoration.

Stuart

09 May 2010 - 10:05

Stuart

If the location is down under the name suggests this is Swan 43-041.

ON stands for Official Number, and means that she has been registered by the authorities somewhere. Are there documents confiming this?

Lars

09 May 2010 - 15:20

Hi Lars.

Thanks again for your help.

I've searched and found the Australian Maratime Safety Authority record for that number, under that name: http://www.amsa.gov.au/shipping_registration/list_of_registered_ships/page_12.asp

The broker apparently knows very little about the boat.

If it is hull 41 would there be identifying marks on the boat? Is there a source of information about that boat?

All the best.

Stuart

09 May 2010 - 15:37

Dear Stuart,

S&S Swan 43 hull # 041 first name was FIREBRAND, are you able to check with broker/previous owner if this boat is Firebrand?

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 May 2010 - 12:59

Stuart

If there is no Builder's Plaque look for a number on the inside of the transom, or on the back side of interior components.

The builder may have some information, but if she has been that far away it is likely that some owners have not reported themselves.

Lars

10 May 2010 - 13:23

Thanks again for your help Lars. The broker has been through some old documentation and found an old inventory that lists the hull Number as 041, so it seems likely that she is Firebrand. Is anything know of the boat?

Stuart

14 May 2010 - 00:38

I'm looking to buy a Swan 43. The hull is beautiful but some aspects of the fit out don't seem to match the Swan 43's on this site. One strange thing is that the steering pedestal and main sheet traveler are far forward in the cockpit. They almost block the cabin entry. Is this a Swan option or has someone tampered with the original layout - or is she not a genuine Swan?

Stuart, if she was called Firebrand then it is likely she was owned by a well known sailor in the sixties called Dennis Miller. He had a series of Admiral's Cup boats and some of these at the time were configured with the wheel at the front of the cockpit.
Not sure whether this helps but if you Google Dennis Miller and Firebrand you will get more information. Gavin

08 June 2010 - 19:46

Hi Lars.

I have the yacht surveyed, and apparently there are no builders marks that could be found. I took extra photographs of the steering position and mainsheet. I'd be interested to know if you think this looks like an original layout. It certainly makes it very difficult to enter the cabin while the dodger is up. It will need to be moved aft to make the boat more usable. Do you know of any drawings that may help me make this change? The Autopilot photographs that Hiro has contributed to the manual are a big help.

There is a plague on the main bulkhead that shows the boat as the winner of the 1978 Newport to Bermuda race in Division E. The Race website shows this division winner as Circe, skippered by E. Greene. She also has a plague from the 1970 race noting her participation. This would have been the year of her launch if she is #41.

I am still very keen to trace the origin and history of the of the boat, before buying her. If you have any information or can give me a contact at the manufacturer, it would be much appreciated.

Stuart

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0