Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Detail make up of the running backstays
15 May 2010 - 20:31

Detail make up of the running backstays
I am ready to buy - I am thinking of 11.5 m of 4mm 1x19 wire to a norseman or similar 5/16 fork to the mast fitting. On the other end, maybe swage the wire over a thimble, onto which a swivel is placed, with 25 feet of T900 polyester line, low stretch, 3/8. spliced onto the swivel. I like the swivel to prevent any wind up, the downside is I have an inseparable runner so when not in use, I cannot detach the line from the wire, the whole thing has to stow at the mast or wherever.

Or is that too complicated - ? I could just tie the line to the thimble, there's plenty of breaking strength available to give up some strength in the knot, or use a j-lock shackle or similar to bring the line to the wire, which would allow me to break the joint - any details on how the runners were made originally, or how anyone has made them better would be appreciated -

Sorry for beating this horse to death - but soon I will be off the topic.

Thanks,

Geoff
Corazon
411 #41

18 May 2010 - 20:02

Well, I bought them today finally.  The rigger told me that while I was using wire, (the mast fitting wants a fork, so wire is the way to go if you don't want to change that around), the loop and thimble is fine, so I went that way, removed the swivel as the shackle has a swivel half built in.  So anyway, I will have the runners next week and try them out.  Just over $700 US for the pair, as described.

27 May 2010 - 22:26

Geoff

Why use wire when spectra is lighter and stronger and will not damage your sail.

John

27 May 2010 - 22:33

John

I guess I went with the wire for the longevity factor, (no UV degradation), but really I was leaning to spectra or similar.......it's all over but the crying now, hopefully we will be ok.

How long a life do you think you can get with the spectra and not have to worry?

Geoff

• Threads : 1709
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0