Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - CE-marking on import to The Netherlands
07 June 2010 - 23:56

CE-marking on import to The Netherlands
Dear all,

Recently I bought "Mandate", Swan 47/001 in the USA. I'm very happy with the boat. The next weeks we will sail her to Europe. One thing I have to sort out is the CE-marking.
I get different messages about this. Some say the boat needs a CE-marking when importing to the EU, others say this is not nescessary while the boat is produced in 1975 in Finland, so no need for a CE-marking, because it was produced in the EU before the CE rules became liable.

Does anyone has experience on this subject? All information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Gerrit

08 June 2010 - 06:42

Dear Gerrit,

you can't have (and you don't need) CE marking as the boat has been built before it existed CE-marking. Instead, as she's now American flagged, you should pay European VAT, on the declared value, when you import the boat in Europe.

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

08 June 2010 - 08:48

Dear Gerrit,
Congratulation for your purchase of the 47/001. As to the CE mark, it is as Matteo said. What you need is the EU VAT. The owner of Black Tie, a Swan 47/056, is perhaps able to give you all details since he imported Black Tie from the US some years ago and had an article about the process in a magazine.

I have also the impression that many in the same case as yourself choose to pay the VAT in the Azores.

Good luck
Philippe (47/050 Farouche)

08 June 2010 - 11:12

Thanks for your replies. VAT is another subject.

I appreciate your opinions (and I agree with you of course), but what I really need is some kind of declaration from the authourities from one of the member states. Does any of other European 47 owners has such a declaration?

Furthermore, is there any Swan 47 in Europe with a CE-mark?

It would help me a lot if someone could help me with this.

Regards,

Gerrit.

08 June 2010 - 22:37

Gerrit,
Well done for your acquisition. I have done the same with a 1973 Swan 41 almost 2 years ago (41 hull 11). She was under US flag and I had to go through the import hurdles. Being French I went through the EU process as run by the French administration to have her registered under French flag and it proved difficult. I managed to get through at the end but it was a tough and lengthy process (almost 9 months). You need to select your country in EU accordingly (some countries are more relaxed than others in the way they interpret the law - UK or Belgian are considered easier to deal with...). I was helped by a naval architect who was introduced to me by Nautor Swan - Eric Ogden - +33 4 93 65 18 94. He helped me go through the hurdles and we were successful at the end. The first document you should look at in my opinion is the Certificate that was delivered to similar boats when initially sold in an EU country. You than need to declare (prove in France...) that your boat is similar to the 47 that were sold in Europe. I had to use a local expert who visited the boat and made such a statement in my case. Please be aware that VAT rates are different within European states. This may be another point for consideration. I am happy to walk you through what I have done in greater detail if you feel that can be of any help.
Good luck and fair wind!

29 July 2012 - 19:12

Dear all, Recently I bought "Mandate", Swan 47/001 in the USA. I'm very happy with the boat. The next weeks we will sail her to Europe. One thing I have to sort out is the CE-marking. I get different messages about this. Some say the boat needs a CE-marking when importing to the EU, others say this is not nescessary while the boat is produced in 1975 in Finland, so no need for a CE-marking, because it was produced in the EU before the CE rules became liable. Does anyone has experience on this subject? All information would be appreciated. Best regards, Gerrit

Dear Gerrit,
I read Your threads on CE certification of a vintage Swan imported from the US with interest, but did not find the end to the story. I am bringing "Sirona" = S&S Swan 48 no. 003 from NZ to Europe and intend to enter EU-waters in 2013. I know all about the VAT. But do you have any final recommendations as to the CE certification? I live in Germany but am Dutch and furthermore would consider entering in any other country, if that would mean an advantage in the paper work and cost for the CE. (France didn´t sound very recommendable.) I would very much appreciate Your opinion. Sincerely Yours, Alberto

31 July 2012 - 11:11

Dear Alberto,

please check with Belgium, as far as I know is one of the most economic Country and easy on burocracy for importing a boat in EU

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1704
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0